Instant Pot Ribs
A quick and easy way to make the perfect ribs anytime you want! These Instant Pot Ribs start with a simple homemade rub and are cooked in your pressure cooker, brushed with BBQ Sauce and broiled for the perfectly sticky sweet ribs for dinner.
To make it a meal we love to pair this rib recipe with Smashed Potatoes and Crock Pot Creamed Corn! If that doesn’t say the ultimate comfort food dinner that everyone will love, I don’t know what does!
Would you believe me if I said you could have sticky and tender baby back ribs in less than an hour? Well, it’s true because of an Instant Pot! If you haven’t tried cooking ribs in your Instant Pot you are in for a treat today!
At our house, a plate piled high with tender baby back ribs doesn’t last long! Add a side of Macaroni Salad or Crock Pot Mac & Cheese and you pretty much get the ultimate comfort food dinner.
Why this recipe works!
- Make it any night of the week whenever you are craving ribs because they are done in less than a hour!
- They are bursting with flavor from our secret homemade rub.
- Fall off the bone perfection with meat that melts in your mouth.
Hello, weeknight baby back ribs! If you don’t have and Instant Pot no worries! My Crock Pot Ribs are amazing, too!
If you’ve ever cooked ribs in the oven you know how long they take – too long, right? I mean, it’s not exactly a weeknight dinner. My Instant Pot Ribs are so much quicker to make. There are a few steps to take before you cook the ribs (like marinating the ribs), so you definitely want to plan ahead when you want to make these ribs.
Also, it may seem like a lot of ingredients, but most of them are spices that are used to make the rub. You probably have most of the ingredients already on hand!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious easy recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- Baby back ribs
- Yellow mustard
- Liquid smoke
- Barbecue sauce
Rib Rub Ingredients
- kosher salt
- brown sugar
- garlic powder
- dry mustard
- ground ginger
- ground black pepper
- smoked paprika
- ground oregano
Steps to Prepare
Remove Membrane – First, remove the membrane on the back of the ribs and discard it.
Combine Ingredients – Mix the ingredients for the rib rub together in a small bowl and set it aside.
Prepare Ribs – Cut the ribs into two or three pieces so they will fit in the Instant Pot. Coat the ribs in the mustard and then coat them in the rib rub mixture. Massage the rub into the ribs making sure they are fully coated. Wrap in plastic and store the ribs in the refrigerator overnight if possible.
Cook Ribs – When you are ready to cook the ribs, place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot and add the water and liquid smoke. Stand the rib sections on one end on the trivet so they are vertical. You don’t want to place them on top of each other.
Broil – To make them sticky sweet remove them from the Instant Pot, brush with your favorite BBQ sauce and place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes or until they are slightly charred.
How long to cook ribs in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker:
To cook ribs in an Instant pot, seal the lid and select manual pressure. Set the timer for 25 minutes. When the timer is up allow the Instant Pot to natural release for 5 minutes, then open valve and release any remaining pressure.
Remove ribs from Instant Pot and brush with barbecue sauce. Place under broiler in oven for 3-5 minutes or until they are slightly charred.
If you have any additional questions comment below and we will do our best to answer your questions!
What’s the difference between Baby Back Ribs and Short Ribs?
The biggest difference is that baby back ribs are pork and short ribs are beef! So, they are from completely different animals. Baby back ribs are from the upper rib section of the pig. The reason they are called “baby” is that they are shorter than spare ribs, which are also pork ribs.
What type of ribs should I use?
We love baby back ribs because they are typically more tender and less fatty than spare ribs. You can use either to make these ribs, but spare ribs typically take longer to cook and I haven’t tested this recipe using them.
What size of Instant Pot do I need?
A 6-quart Instant Pot works best for these ribs!
How do I remove the membrane from the ribs?
It’s very easy to remove the membrane from baby back ribs. If you turn the ribs to the less meaty side you will see a thin film covering the ribs. This membrane is very tough and you will want to remove so your baby back ribs will be tender once cooked.
To remove the membrane, use a knife to loosen one end. Just slide the knife under the membrane to loosen it and then, once you’ve loosened enough to grab it, just pull the membrane off using your hands. Most of the time it comes off in one piece but, if needed, just use your knife to loosen it again if it tears.
Do I need to broil the ribs?
You can serve ribs straight from the Instant Pot, but I like to brush them with BBQ sauce and then pop them under the broiler. That way, you create a sticky caramelized glaze for the ribs. So, no, you don’t have to broil the ribs but you’d miss out on that glaze!
What kind of BBQ Sauce should I use?
You can use your favorite kind of BBQ sauce! We love Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ sauce.
Homemade BBQ Sauce is also a great option. It only takes 15 minutes to make!
Sticky, tender baby back ribs so easy you can make them during the week! I know your family is going to love these Instant Pot Ribs! Once you give them a try be sure to check out some of my other favorite Instant Pot recipes!
More Easy Instant Pot Dinner Recipes!
- A family favorite easy dinner that’s always a hit is Instant Pot Hamburger Stroganoff!
- The easiest way to make spaghetti is this Instant Pot Spaghetti with ground hamburger.
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches are mouthwatering and delicious! Did we mention buttery toasted buns and melty cheese?
Make it a Meal!
- If you love the combo of bacon and ranch you’ll love these Crack Potatoes!
- Green Bean Corn Casserole isn’t only for holidays! It’s so easy to make that you can serve it during the week with dinner.
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes is a traditional side dish that you can never go wrong with!
- Keep it traditional and serve this Crock Pot Creamed Corn along with your ribs!
Looking for an easy way to make ribs? Then this definitely is the recipe for you!
Love it? I knew you would! Rate it, please!! It would be awesome if you’d give it a five-star rating below!
If you snap any photos, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Instant Pot Ribs Recipe
- 1 rack baby back ribs 1.5 – 2 lbs
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 c. barbecue sauce
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- Remove membranes from the back of your ribs, if needed.
- In a small container mix together the dry rub spices. Set aside.
- Cut the rack of ribs into 2-3 pieces so they fit in the Instant Pot easily. Cot them with yellow mustard. Then massage dry rub into meat making sure to cover entire rack.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight.
- When it is time to cook the ribs place the trivet or rack on the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the water and liquid smoke. Set ribs upright on the trivet so that they are not stacked on top of each other.
- Seal lid and select manual pressure. Set the timer for 25 minutes. When the timer is up allow Instant Pot to natural release for 5 minutes, then open valve and release any remaining pressure.
- Remove ribs from Instant Pot and brush with barbecue sauce. Place under broiler in oven for 3-5 minutes or until they are slightly charred.
Leave a Comment