Peanut Butter Graham Cracker Toffee Recipe – Peanut butter and chocolate combine in this easy graham cracker toffee. Sweet and salty with crunchy buttery layers. No candy thermometer needed!
Here we are about to close out the year. Can you believe it?! I hope 2015 was good to you. I’m excited to announce that I’ll be back again next year to share more recipes with you.This here is the final recipe I’m sharing for 2015 and, let me tell you, it is a good one. This Peanut Butter Graham Cracker Toffee is a huge crowd pleaser. Even though it is called “toffee,” worry not – no candy thermometer is needed! This is easy peasy!
This toffee is layer upon layer of flavor and texture. From the bottom up: graham crackers, brown sugar toffee, peanut butter, chocolate, and salted peanuts. I know what you’re thinking… how could this not be good? And yes, it is unbelievably delicious!
If you’d like to hear what little willpower I have when it comes to this toffee, I’ll let you in on a little secret. When I was photographing this recipe I could not stop eating it. I said, “this is my last bite” at least half a dozen times. I also rationalized my over indulgence by reminding myself, “it’s the holidays!” and “come January I’ll drink lots of spinach smoothies” (insert sad face). I eventually had to go to my purse and get out a piece of gum to chew on because without it I could. not. stop.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you. This stuff is seriously addicting. It’s crunchy and buttery and sweet and salty. This recipe is perfect for serving during the holidays. You could share it on your holiday dessert table, package it up for friends or neighbors, or just sit down and devour the whole tray yourself. Kidding about that last part. 😉 You’ll make plenty of people happy with this recipe. And if you need any help getting rid of it, let me know, I’ll be right over.
Have a safe and happy new year! I’ll see you again in 2016!
Peanut Butter Graham Cracker Toffee
- 15 graham cracker sheets approximately
- 1 cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter not natural
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup roasted salted peanuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 13x18 rimmed baking sheet with foil or a silicone liner. If using foil, spray it with nonstick spray. Lay the graham cracker sheets in a single layer, side by side in the pan, breaking pieces as needed to fill the pan.
- Place butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Carefully pour over the graham crackers. Use a rubber spatula to evenly spread the mixture over the graham crackers (work quickly - the toffee will start to firm up).
- Place the pan in the oven for 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and place dollops of peanut butter all over the top. Place back in the oven for 1 minute (to melt the peanut butter). Remove from the oven and evenly spread the peanut butter all over the surface. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and place back in the oven for 1 additional minute (to melt the chocolate). Remove from the oven and use an offset spatula to evenly spread the melted chocolate. Don't be too heavy handed, just lightly spread the melted chocolate. Immediately top with chopped peanuts.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator to firm up completely (at least 2 hours). Once chilled, break the toffee into irregular pieces. I like to store it in the refrigerator.