Simple Chicken and Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner ~ Quick and Easy Dinner Recipe! Crispy-Skinned Chicken Thighs, Tender Potatoes and Asparagus!
This wholesome chicken and vegetable sheet pan dinner with crispy-skinned chicken thighs, tender potatoes and asparagus is perfect for a Sunday supper, but easy enough for a busy weeknight dinner. Less than 15 minutes prep time and just 3o minutes in the oven and dinner is served!
Lately, I am caught in a seasonal in-between time. It’s that time between winter and spring when I feel a pull towards lighter, healthier, warm-weather dishes yet I’m not quite ready to let go of winter. Early spring vegetables are within reach, but I still crave a little cozy so that’s how this chicken and vegetable sheet pan dinner came to be. It has tender spring asparagus along with hearty potatoes and chicken making it a winter-spring hybrid dinner that celebrates the best of both seasons in one easy-to-make dish.
It’s sort of like wearing sandals with a warm, wooly sweater.
It’s one of those almost ridiculously easy recipes that hardly needs a recipe because, when it comes down to it, all you need to do is toss some veggies and chicken on a sheet pan and call it a day. I’ve dressed this one up with a super easy lemony-olive oil with Italian seasoning because I wanted a little something extra to brighten the veggies without covering up their natural flavors coaxed out by the roasting.
And not only is it a winter/spring mash-up but it’s all sort of like a Sunday roast chicken dinner – it has all the components, crispy-skinned chicken thighs and tender veggies – except, because it’s so easy, you can make on a weeknight. It requires less than 15 minutes of prep time to get the potatoes and asparagus ready and the chicken gets just a sprinkling of salt and pepper. The only trick to this dish is in the timing – knowing how long everything needs to roast ensures that it all cooks to the right amount of doneness. In this case, the chicken and potatoes go in first and the asparagus are added in the last 15 minutes.
Quick and easy, comforting yet light, and minimal clean-up. This sheet pan dinner has a lot going for it.
It really is like spring-meets-winter on a pan. Nothing makes a kitchen cozier than roasted chicken, but what emerges is light and on the healthy side of things. Plus, it really is an easy clean-up situation making this a great weeknight dinner idea.
So, it you’re caught in-between your favorite winter sweater and springtime sandals I hope you give this one a try. It really is the best of both seasons and a delicious way to enjoy this in-between time.
FOR MORE SHEET PAN RECIPES, CLICK HERE:
- Sheet Pan Parmesan Pork Chops & Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Meatloaf and Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Chicken Quesadillas
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 24 oz petite red potatoes medium ones halved and large ones quartered
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk the olive oil, lemon, Italian seasoning, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Spread the potatoes in an even layer. Pour half of the olive oil mixture over the top. Toss the potatoes to coat them evenly and spread them in an even layer. Place the chicken thighs on the baking sheet. Roast the potatoes and chicken for 15 minutes.
- Toss the asparagus in the remaining olive oil mixture. Add the asparagus to the baking sheet after the chicken and potatoes have roasted for 15 minutes. Roast it all another 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Optional: Squeeze a 1/2 lemon over the top of the chicken and veggies before serving.