A quick and easy breakfast! This Smoothie Bowl is ready in less than 5 minutes. It’s a nutritious, healthy and delicious start to your day. An easy breakfast with yogurt, banana, kiwi, Chia seeds, flaxseeds and honey or agave syrup to sweeten this breakfast bowl recipe!
January is a month when we tend to look for healthy recipes more than usual like Berry Yogurt Breakfast Parfait or Cherry Overnight Oats, YUM! I guess it’s because of the whole New Year’s resolution thing. We all want to be healthier and eat the right things. So we search for new recipe ideas.
That is why I made this superfood breakfast bowl. It is full of nutrients which are important for our bodies. All these goodies help us stay healthy and also keep us full longer!
What is a Smoothie Bowl and why?
A Smoothie Bowl is like a smoothie that you sip thru a straw, but it has a thicker consistency like ice cream. BUT it’s healthy and you get to eat it for breakfast! Topped with fresh fruit and nuts, and sweetened by honey it’s a delicious option for breakfast!
Smoothie Bowl Recipe
So what exactly is in this healthy breakfast bowl you ask? Well, the answer is pretty simple: Yogurt + Fruits + Seeds! These are the main ingredients so let’s talk a bit more about them!
I used natural yogurt but you can also use Greek yogurt. They are both highly nutritious containing protein, calcium, potassium as well as some vitamins and minerals.
What do you put on top of a Smoothie Bowl?
- Berries – strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
- Fruit – pineapple, bananas, peaches, nectarines – really the possibilities are endless!
- Nuts and Seeds – almonds, chia or flax seeds, walnuts, use your favorite!
- Sweeten with honey or agave – delicious!
By the way, if you are wondering what the difference between a natural and Greek yogurt is then Greek yogurt is thicker and contains probiotic cultures as well. Its protein content is usually higher as well.
Grocery list for Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- chia seeds
- mixed seeds
How to Make a Smoothie Bowl
When it comes to fruits, I used banana and kiwi in this breakfast bowl recipe. Bananas are a great source of potassium and vitamins. And guess what? Because of its fiber content, you will feel full longer! Isn’t it great?
Now let’s not forget about kiwi. This fruit boosts our immune system thanks to its high vitamin C content which is pretty important in the winter months when we tend to get sick very easily.
Next, let’s talk seeds! Pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, hemp, chia, flaxseeds! Do you love them or hate them? Do you have a favorite type or you like all of them? I have to say I like chia seeds because they are one of the superfoods and because of their neutral taste you can add them literally anywhere. For example, you can add them to smoothies like this persimmon banana smoothie or spreads like this avocado spread.
Guys, remember that when eating fiber-rich foods we have to increase our water intake. I have a solution here for you as well: this lemon ginger water is perfect for keeping your body hydrated!
By the way, if you have the 5 minutes to make this but don’t have the extra time to eat it at home, why don’t you just throw the ingredients in a mason jar, grab a lid and a spoon and eat it whenever you’ll find the time!
How to make Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- Spoon the yogurt into a bowl
- Top with sliced fruit, berries and seeds, enjoy!
How do you make a Smoothie Bowl thicker?
Blending the yogurt with frozen fruit will thicken the smoothie. When bananas go south and get super black, rather than toss them, wrap them well and tuck them in the freezer. It’s a great way to thicken a smoothie bowl and also sweeten it! The darker the banana the sweeter the taste.
Can you make smoothie bowls the night before?
- If they are made the night before, pour the yogurt into a small mason jar and freeze them.
- If you decide to eat it on the go, I have some tips for you:
- Don’t be tempted to mix everything together before you are ready to eat it!
- Add the ground flaxseeds as well as chia seeds at the very end.
- Start with yogurt, then the fruits, mixed seeds, sweetener (if using) and now I would finish it off with chia and flaxseeds.
- The reason is that the chia and flaxseeds will suck the liquid out of the yogurt if you don’t eat it right away. The result would not be very appetizing then – you could end up with a cement-like mixture instead of a delicious healthy breakfast bowl.
More Smoothie Recipes to try and love!
- Fresh Orange Smoothie Recipe
- Banana Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Gingerbread Smoothie
- Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie
- Strawberry Coconut Smoothie
Do you have a New Year’s Resolution to eat healthier? Comment below and tell me what’s on your healthy eating menu! And when you make this be sure and tag me at #julieseatsandtreats!!!
Healthy Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 7 oz/200ml Natural Yogurt
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 1 Kiwi
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Flaxseeds
- 1 Tablespoon Mixed Seeds
- Agave Syrup or Honey to Taste optional
- In a bowl, arrange all the ingredients to your liking and drizzle with agave syrup or honey.
- Serve right away!