A Grasshopper Drink is a sweet drink that gets it’s fabulous green color from crème de menthe. This cocktail only has three ingredients and is usually served after dinner as a dessert drink. Grab your cocktail shaker and top this it with whipped cream, sprinkles and candy if desired.
I’ve got a super-easy after-dinner drink for you today! If you love chocolate, mint and a cold and creamy adult beverage you have got to try this Grasshopper Drink! It looks fancy, but it’s so easy to make. It’s a combination of creme de menthe, creme de cocoa and cream and it’s so pretty served in a glass with a dollop of whipped cream.
You can serve this all-year-round, but I really love them during the holiday season because they just seem so festive to me! You can’t beat that green color and the combination of mint and chocolate is classic – it’s like an Andes candy in drink form!
This recipe is great for holiday parties or dinner parties because it’s so easy to make. I like to serve them after dinner along with some holiday cookies like molasses cookies or peppermint macaroons. I don’t always wait for a party to treat myself, though! It’s almost a little too easy to whip up a single-serving when you want a special treat!
This year I’ll be making these Grasshopper drinks for our friends all through the holidays. It’s has been around for a long time ( it was invented in a bar in New Orleans sometime in the 1910s!) but I’m pretty sure it’s not one people think to make a lot these days! So, what better way to treat your guests than with this classic sweet drink? I think everyone will love it!
What’s in a Grasshopper?
Three ingredients are all you need! You can also add garnishes, too, but more on that in a minute!
- Creme de menthe is a sweetened mint-flavored alcohol. It’s what gives this drink it’s pretty green color, too!
- Creme de cacao is also sweet and is a chocolate bean liqueur.
- It is made with heavy cream or half and half depending on how rich and creamy you like it. I like it extra creamy so I always go for the heavy cream!
This is also the kind of drink you can customize to your liking. I like to make mine with one-ounce each of the alcohols and cream, but you can adjust the amounts to make it perfect!
It’s very simple to make:
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice and add 1 ounce each of the creme de menthe and creme de caco.
- Add 1 ounce of cream, secure the lid, and shake it until chilled.
- Strain the drink into your glass and serve!
How to Dress Up Your Grasshopper Drink
The simple three-ingredient drink is delicious as is, but you can do some fun garnishes to dress it up!
- I like to add a drizzle of chocolate sauce on the inside of the glass before I pour the drink.
- Top it with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle shaved chocolate, sprinkles or chopped chocolate mints over the top of it before serving!
Adding the garnishes makes this Grasshopper Drink really fun and you can customize them depending on the occasion or time of year – like, maybe some red and green sprinkles for Christmas or all green sprinkles for St. Patrick’s Day?
I think you’re going to love this classic Grasshopper!
Other Holiday Cocktails to Try
Of course, this Grasshopper Drink isn’t the only holiday cocktail I’ve got up my sleeve! I’ve been sharing quite a few cocktails over the last year and some of my favorite ones are perfect for the holidays!
- I recently shared a hot toddy that is a super simple, too. It’s great on a cold wintry night because it’s so soothing and warming. It’s a great night-cap when you need a little escape from the holiday hustle.
- Or, if you want a pick-me-up you have to try my Irish coffee recipe! This is great for parties because it combines coffee with Irish whiskey with a little whipped cream for a touch of sweetness. I love to make these for dinner parties along with some hot chocolate for the kids!
- If you like cold drinks my peppermint martini and winter sangria are delicious, too.
- It’s always nice to have a mocktail to serve at parties, too, so check out my sparkling cranberry drink that’s perfect for the holidays!
Whatever the occasion is, I hope you enjoy this quick and easy drink!
- 1 ounce crème de menthe
- 1 ounce crème de cacao
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- Chocolate sauce, whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles and/or chopped andes mints for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to shaker.
- Shake until chilled.
- Strain the mixture into a cocktail glass.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce around the inside of stemmed cocktail glass. Pour in the grasshopper mix. Top with whipped cream, sprinkles and candy if desired.