If you’ve never had a Hasselback Potato you are missing out! They are baked potatoes thinly sliced and stuffed with cheese and bacon. Crispy and golden on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside! This Hasselback Potato recipe is topped with sour cream taking them right over the top!
These loaded hasselback potatoes are the ultimate starter or side! Packed with your favorite ingredients they will definitely satisfy your taste buds. Think, crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, plus loaded with your favorite toppings like bacon, cheese and sour cream!
Guys! Potatoes rock and so do all potato dishes. Don’t you agree? Take these hasselback potatoes, Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes Twice Baked Potatoes with Chorizo and Cheddar, Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potato Casserole, Potatoes Au Gratin, The BEST Mashed Potato Recipe or Pan Fried Breakfast Potatoes.
All these dishes are perfect for this cold season! No matter which one you decide to try, you will be in or a treat.
Hasselback Potato Recipe
If you decide to make loaded hasselback potatoes, make sure to write all the ingredients on your shopping list. Oh, and don’t forget to take the list with you to the grocery store. Because, you know, those things happen. At least to me!
Grocery list for Hasselback Potatoes
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
Why are Hasselback potatoes called that?
- This dish is from Sweden and gets it’s name from the restaurant where it was originated…Hasselback!
How long does it take to cook Hasselback potatoes?
- They bake in the oven for about 1 hour 15 minutes until crispy on the outside, soft and tender on the inside.
What potatoes work best for Hasselback Potato Recipe?
- Starchy russet potatoes work best in this recipe.
I recommend using small to medium potatoes rather than large. If you decide to go for large, then you will only need about 4 of them instead of 8. They need to be washed well because you will keep their skin on.
How to make Hasselback Potato Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub the potatoes thoroughly.
- Place a potato on the chopping board with chopsticks on either side of the potato.
- Slice the potato, being careful not to slice all the way thru. Slice it thinly, almost to the bottom (the chopsticks will prevent you from cutting all the way through).
- Transfer the potato onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, paprika and garlic powder. Brush each potato with this mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes. The potatoes should be almost cooked at this stage.
- Remove the tray and tuck cheese and bacon slices between the slices.
- Bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until the bacon is done.
Make several slits into each potato. Make sure you don’t cut all the way through. We need the bottom part to hold everything together. Chopsticks or wooden spoons can be used as a knife “stopper” when slicing.
Once you are done, place them onto a baking tray. I always line my tray with a sheet of baking parchment. It just makes my life easier as all the juices stay on the paper.
To make these potatoes extra yummy, brush each with a mixture of oil, paprika and garlic powder. Then season them with salt and pepper.
Baking hasselback potatoes takes some time. Somewhere between 60 – 80 minutes. This will also depend on their size and the width of the cuts.
I suggest you check after 55 minutes by inserting a toothpick inside. If it’s going in easy, it is time to add bacon and cheese.
Alternate bacon and cheese between the slices of potatoes.
Return the potatoes back to the oven. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until the bacon is cooked. This should not take more than 15 minutes (use thinly sliced bacon strips).
They are best served with sour cream, parsley and topped with extra cheese and bacon.
More Potatoe Recipes!
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- How to Make Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THESE LOADED HASSELBACK POTATOES RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time I share a new video!
Love this recipe? Be sure and comment below and leave a 5-star rating! I know you’ll love these delicious potatoes as much as we do! You can find more deliciousness on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats !!
Loaded Hasselback Potatoes Recipe
- 8 Small to Medium Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 4 ounce Cheddar Cheese sliced
- 3 ounce Bacon strips + extra for garnish optional
- 4 tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley finely chopped (optional)
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Use a food brush to remove any dirt.
- Place 2 chopsticks on a chopping board, alongside a potato. Make several cuts into the potato – like if you wanted to slice it thinly, almost to the bottom (the chopsticks will prevent you from cutting all the way through).
- Transfer them (the cut side up) onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, paprika and garlic powder. Brush each potato with this mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400F for 55 minutes. The potatoes should be almost cooked at this stage. Take the tray out and fill the gaps with cheese and bacon slices. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until the bacon is done.
- When ready, take them out and top with more cheese, fried bacon (optional) , sour cream and parsley.
- Serve right away as a starter or side.