Smashed Potatoes are a quick and easy side dish for the weeknight to get you out of your rut! Think a delicious potato with garlic, butter, and Parmesan cheese. I mean, if you don’t want to make them now, I don’t know why not! Crispy potatoes that are brushed with a garlic butter mixture and then seasoned with salt and pepper. After that bake them in the oven and then top with Parmesan cheese! Sound delicious, doesn’t it?
I’m always looking for different side dishes for weeknight suppers. I love my recipe for The BEST Mashed Potatoes Recipe, such a favorite! And then there’s Roasted Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes, Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe, Crock Pot Baked Potatoes both easy and delicious but it’s also easy to get stuck in a rut.
So when I saw this recipe I knew it was right up my alley. Best part of these potatoes? Crispy outsides and creamy insides! Oh… and the garlic butter, mmmmm!!! What is not to love, right? Serve them with Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing for a hearty dinner!
I’m looking forward to trying these out on the grill next summer. These would be easy to do while camping also.
Feel free to use whatever seasonings or spices you’d like on your potatoes. Like sour cream? Top it with that when they are done!
Garlic Smashed Potatoes
I adore Yukon Gold Potatoes. They are definitely my “go-to” potato.
They are so creamy and delicious. Perfect for Smashed Potatoes!
Grocery list for Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- olive oil spray
- Parmesan cheese
What is the difference between mashed and smashed potatoes?
Mashed potatoes are most often made with potatoes that have been peeled. Smashed potatoes are skin-on and may or may not be completely mashed.
How many yellow potatoes make a pound?
Eight to ten of the baby Yukon gold potatoes make about a pound.
How many potatoes do I need for 6 people?
You’ll need about 3 1/2 – 4 pounds of potatoes to serve six people as a side dish.
Smashed Potatoes Recipe
I love that these Smashed Potatoes are fancy enough to serve to guests but easy enough to make during the weeknight and pair with a dinner.
That’s my kind of recipe!
Steps to make Garlic Smashed Potatoes Recipe
- Preheat the oven.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water, bring to boil and liberally salt water.
- When boiling, add potatoes, and until fork tender. Strain; set aside.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet with non-stick spray. Arrange potatoes on the sheet and LIGHTLY flatten with a fork – do not completely mash.
- Melt the butter and mix with garlic and parsley. Pour over each potato. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until browned on the top.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted and browned.
More terrific potato recipes that are family favorites!!
- Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potato Casserole!
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes
- Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Loaded Potatoes
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS SMASHED POTATOES RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time I post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!! ?Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
Smashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2 lb Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 c. butter melted
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil spray
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large stock pot filled halfway with water, bring to boil and liberally salt water. Add potatoes, and boil for 20 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Strain; set aside.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet or tray with non-stick spray. Arrange potatoes on the sheet and LIGHTLY flatten the potatoes with a potato mashed or fork in one piece (not too hard or they will end up mashed).
- Mix together the butter, garlic and parsley. Pour over each potato. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in oven and bake 10-15 minutes or until browned on the top. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted and browned.