Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes ~ Delicious, Easy, Au Grain Potatoes Using the Slow Cooker! The Crock Pot Makes this Cheesy, Creamy, and Comforting Dish So Easy! Perfect for a Holiday Side Dish or for Every Day Meals!
How many of you like potato au gratin but hate how it takes so long to make in your oven?? It’s taking up precious space that needs to be used for other dishes (like the main dish)!
That’s where this Crock Pot Potato Au Gratin helps free up that space. While it does need time to cook as any crock pot dish does but at least your oven is free. It’s still delicious, cheesy au gratin potatoes but way easier!
Ingredients needed for this Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes:
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Sharp Cheddar cheese
- All purpose flour
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
A few other great potato side dish recipes are: Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes, Loaded Hasselback Potatoes, Old Fashioned Potato Salad, Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole and Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon Glaze. Those slow cooker baked potatoes are life changing, just saying!!
I grew up eating potato au gratin and scalloped potatoes often. Most of the time it was served on a Sunday along with ham, roast, or chicken. Or if we had a little bit of leftover ham my mom would make one of my favorites. Ham and potato au gratin. There is something magical about cheesy potatoes and ham, am I right?!
About this Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes:
- You can use Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes for this recipe. You can also peel them or leave the peel on.
- Cut them 1/8″ thick. You can try for 1/4″ but every time I did I had to cook them a lot longer. But every brand of crock pot cooks differently.
- I like to use a combination of cheese. Monterey Jack to make it creamy and smooth and sharp cheddar for the flavor.
- Don’t use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe. They come with powdery additives and may not melt well.
- Use a mandoline or food processor to slice the potatoes as it makes the job much easier!
- This dish doesn’t do well on the warm setting.
- Let the potatoes stand for 20 minutes before serving. This will allow for the sauce to thicken a little and it will continue to thicken as it cools.
You want to know something else?? You can make these comforting potatoes in the summer because…..dun dun dunnnn you are using the crock pot! No turning on the oven, no heating up your house, and yet you can still have these tender, cheesy, and creamy potatoes.
Can you tell how much I love these potatoes?? Better yet, can you tell how much I love my crock pot?? I know the Instant Pot is going crazy wild right now and maybe someday I’ll join in on the fun. But for right now I am going to keep loving my slow cooker and using it for ALL THE THINGS!
Tools needed/helpful to make this Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes:
Looking for more easy Crock Pot Side Dishes make sure to check out Crockpot Stuffing, Crock Pot Mac & Cheese, Cheesy Bacon Ranch Crock Pot Creamed Corn, Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole and Crock Pot Cauliflower Broccoli Casserole Recipe!
Crock Pot Potato Au Gratin
- 3 pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Wash OR peel your potatoes. Slice to 1/8" thick, set aside. (I like to leave the peel on my potatoes)
- Generously coat slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk to combine. Whisk in the milk, garlic powder, pepper, and a generous amount of salt. (I use at least a teaspoon.) Cook stirring frequently just until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses.
- Place 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the chopped onion. Pour 1/3 of the cheese sauce over the potatoes and onions. Repeat this 2 more times. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-6 hours or until potatoes are tender. Let sit 20 minutes before serving.