Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are the perfect easy breakfast treat or snack. Light, fluffy pumpkin muffins studded with sweet chocolate chips with the perfect amount of spice.
We took our favorite Pumpkin Muffins that are light and fluffy and added chocolate chips, because chocolate is always a good idea, right?
Say hello to your new favorite fall treat! Pumpkin Muffins with Chocolate Chips!
They make the perfect grab and go breakfast, are perfect warm from the oven or a great snack in the afternoon!
If you love these easy pumpkin muffins make sure to check out our Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins, too! I’m not sure I could decide a favorite between these two muffin recipes!
Why You’ll Love Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- These muffins can be in and out of the oven in under half an hour!
- Pumpkin and pumpkin spice create that comforting fall flavor we all love.
- Chocolate chips throughout make these muffins ultra-satisfying.
- We share our secret to get those perfectly “domed” muffins!
- They freeze wonderfully, so you can keep a “secret” stash on standby.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Flour – We used all-purpose flour, but white whole wheat flour will work in this recipe too.
- Sugars – A mix of white and brown sugar was used in these muffins to give it a deep, rich sweet flavor.
- Baking Soda – Don’t forget this ingredient to make the muffins rise!
- Salt – Brings out the flavor and balances the pumpkin and chocolate.
- Cinnamon – Gives these muffins the “spice” you expect in any pumpkin recipe.
- Pumpkin spice – This spice blend is the ultimate flavor enhancement for the pumpkin puree.
- Eggs – Eggs help bind your ingredients together and add richness and moisture. Use room temperature eggs so they mix into the batter easier.
- Pureed pumpkin – Plain pureed pumpkin is crucial for these muffins’ flavor and golden color. Do not use pumpkin pie mix.
- Butter – Of course, we’ll need butter to make these muffins extra rich and scrumptious!
- Vanilla Extract – Grab the real vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Chocolate chips – Feel free to use either semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips.
How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
In about 30 minutes you can have fresh homemade pumpkin chocolate chip muffins to enjoy!
First combine your dry ingredients in a large glass bowl. Whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin spice. Set aside.
Next, cream the wet ingredients together in a different bowl. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, add the eggs, pumpkin puree, butter and vanilla extract. Beat on low until combined.
Time to combine the wet and dry ingredients! Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Don’t over mix or they will be tough and dry.
The next part is the best! Time to gently fold in chocolate chips.
Grab a muffin pan and spray it with non-stick spray or put paper liners in the muffin cups. Then add batter to muffin cup liners so they are almost full. Place 5-6 chocolate chips on top of each muffin if desired. More chocolate is always better, right?
Place in a preheated oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 5 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Pro Tip: Baking at the higher heat at first helps create the perfect domed top of your muffin.
Mix In Ideas!
- Chopped pecans
Tips For The Best Pumpkin Muffins with Chocolate Chips!
- For a good presentation, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin before baking.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- To prepare these muffins a day ahead, make the batter the day before and store it covered in the refrigerator. Then bake them fresh the next day.
- To store these muffins, first cool them completely. Then keep them in an airtight container for 3-4 days at room temperature.
- Want an even heartier muffin? Try folding in chopped pecans, walnuts, or coconut with the chocolate chips.
To freeze these muffins, place them in a resealable freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw muffins at room temperature or warm them in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy them.
White chocolate chips are a nice alternative if you’re looking to mix things up. Or try combining regular and white chocolate chips together! Just don’t forget to sprinkle a few on top before baking to make your muffins look amazing.
If you don’t have pumpkin spice, it’s easy to create your own blend using ingredients you probably already have at home! Here’s my favorite Homemade Pumpkin Spice recipe.
Grab all your ingredients for these easy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins and make a batch today. Double it and freeze some for later so you can enjoy one whenever you want!
More Pumpkin Recipes!
- Still crazy about pumpkin spice? Make a brunch your family will ask for over and over again with Pumpkin French Toast. And plain old cereal will never be the same after you’ve tried Pumpkin Granola!
- For a comforting “quick bread,” there’s nothing like a warm slice of Pumpkin Bread with a pat of butter on top.
- Finally, are you looking for a pumpkin dessert? You can’t go wrong with my classic Pumpkin Pie recipe. But I recommend trying this gooey, decadent, and super easy Earthquake Pumpkin Cake.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place liners into each well of your standard size muffin baking pan.Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin spice. Set aside.
- In another bowl or bowl of a stand mixer add the eggs, pumpkin puree, butter and vanilla extract. Beat on low, using a stand mixer or hand mixer, until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Add batter to muffin cup liners so they are almost full. Place 5-6 chocolate chips on top of each muffin if desired.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Baking at the higher heat at first helps create the perfect domed top of your muffin.
- Chopped pecans
- Place a few chocolate chips on top of the muffin batter before baking for presentation.
- Prep the batter up to a day ahead, store in the refrigerator and then use these when you need a snack.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Make these with either semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips.
- Store leftovers in airtight container for 3-4 days.
- To freeze the muffins place them in a freezer resealable bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw muffins at room temperature or warm them up in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy.