Instant Pot Potato Salad
Love potato salad, but hate the headache of making it? The answer is Instant Pot Potato Salad! Cook your potatoes and eggs all in your pressure cooker. It’s so quick and easy to make you’ll be enjoying it all summer long.
Potato Salad is a labor of love right? Peeling potatoes, boiling on the stove, boiling the eggs, etc… Did you know using the Instant Pot (<—- I freakin’ adore that thing), you can cut that time in half? How great does that sound?!!!
This delicious, quick, easy potato salad in the pressure cooker is just as amazing as making it the old fashioned way, but like fifty million times easier!
If you are looking for a quick and easy meal during the summer that won’t heat up your house make sure to pair this potato salad recipe with my favorite Crock Pot Ham Cheese Sandwiches!
Why Pressure Cooker Potato Salad Works!
- The potatoes and eggs cook right in the Instant Pot at the same time saving you time!
- It’s a small batch perfect for a family dinner or cook out.
- This recipe is basic with no onions, pickles etc., but feel free to add those if you like that in your potato salad. This is the perfect base recipe that is no-fail and totally adaptable to everyone’s preference!
Potato Salad Instant Pot Ingredients
- Potatoes – We used red potatoes which hold their shape when cooked and won’t get mushy. Another great option would be Yukon Gold Potatoes.
- Eggs – You will hard boil these in the Instant Pot so just regular eggs!
- Water – Add it to the Instant Pot to cook the potatoes and eggs.
- Mayonnaise – Some people prefer Miracle Whip which will give the potato salad a bit sweet taste.
- Prepared yellow mustard – Just grab the yellow container!
- Seasonings – A blend of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika to give it the perfect flavor.
Instant Pot Potatoes for Potato Salad
What kind of potatoes are best for potato salad?
Skip the russet potatoes for potato salad and pick a more waxy variety of potatoes instead. They are firmer and will hold up better.
Yukon gold, red potatoes or fingerlings are the best options for potato salad.
What size should the potatoes be?
You want the potatoes to be a uniform size so they cook at the same rate. They should be cut into about 1” pieces. If they are smaller than that they can turn gummy when they cook.
Do I need to peel the potatoes?
It’s really up to you, but we prefer to peel the potatoes.
Add-Ins for Instant Pot Potato Salad With Eggs
There are so many different ways of making potato salad. This recipe is a simple base recipe so you can add your own twist and flavors. Here are some ideas to change the flavor profile.
- Diced Pickles
- Chopped onions
- Chopped Dill Pickles
- Diced Celery
- Minced fresh dill
- Chopped and crumbled cooked bacon
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Prep – Start with the steamer basket in the pressure cooker pot. Add the water, potatoes and place the eggs on top of potatoes.
- Pressure Cook – Place lid on pressure cooker and lock into place. Select high pressure and set to 4 minutes. When done quick release.
- Release – Remove the lid when the pressure is released. Remove the steamer basket from the pressure cooker.
- Mix Dressing – In a large mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise and spices.
- Peel & Slice Eggs – Gently place eggs in cold water. Allow potatoes to cool. Add cooled potatoes and gently mixed until potatoes are covered in mayonnaise mixture. Peel and dice three eggs.
- Combine – Gently mix into the potato salad.
- Refrigerator – Chill pressure cooker potato salad, garnish with slices of remaining hard boiled egg.
Potato Salad in Instant Pot FAQ
It’s a stainless steel basket that fits right into the cooking vessel of your Instant Pot. They aren’t that expensive and this is definitely something you’ll want to get because you’ll use it over and over again.
To get the nice firm potatoes you want in potato salad we recommend a steamer basket. If you don’t have one you can still make this, but the potatoes might be on the mushier side because they sit right in the water in the Instant Pot.
You can make it 2-3 days in advance. In fact, we recommend making it at least a few hours before you serve it to allow the flavors to really come together.
Store in refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Fill a bowl with ice then place the bowl of potato salad on top of it to keep it chilled. As the ice melts drain water and add more ice.
Yes! You can easily double this recipe. The cooking time will stay the same.
Make it a Meal with these Dinner Recipes!
Instant Pot Potato Salad makes the perfect side dish to these delicious Crock Pot Ribs, or pair with Shredded BBQ Chicken in the Crock Pot.
Juicy Air Fryer Burgers are another great option to serve it with!
I love everything about this creamy potato salad. The potatoes are fork tender and the eggs perfectly cooked! The dressing is creamy and flavorful. Using your Instant Pot makes it this so much easier! I can’t wait until you try this, I know you’ll love this!
Find more of my favorite potato recipes here!
- Straight from Grandma’s recipe box this Best Ever Potato Salad is going to be your go-to recipe!
- Roasted Red Potato Salad is packed with flavor from the celery, hard-boiled eggs, red peppers and onions
- What’s not to love about creamy Bacon Ranch Potato Salad with extra flavor from crispy bacon and ranch seasoning.
P.S. if you accidentally boil up too many eggs, be sure to try my recipe for Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich!!
More Recipes to Try!
- Whats in a Irish Trash Can?
- Good Dip for Chips
- Vegetables Casserole Recipe
- Homemade Ranch Dip Recipe
- Icing for Christmas Cookies that Hardens
- Chicken and Rice Instant Pot Recipe
If you make this at home be sure to use the #julieseatsandtreats or tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Instant Pot Potato Salad
- 3 c. red potatoes peeled and cubed into 1” pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Put steamer basket in the pressure cooker pot. Add the water, potatoes and place the eggs on top of potatoes. Place lid on pressure cooker and lock into place. Select high pressure and set to 4 minutes.
- When the four minutes is done, quick release pressure. Remove the lid when the pressure is released. Remove the steamer basket from the pressure cooker. Gently place eggs in cold water. Allow potatoes to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise, yellow mustard, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Add cooled potatoes and gently mixed until potatoes are covered in mayonnaise mixture.
- Peel and dice three of the cooled eggs. Gently mix into the potato salad. Chill at least one hour before serving.
- Right before serving top with slices of remaining hard boiled egg.
- I used red potatoes, but you can also use Russet potatoes. Either will work.
- If you’d like to add chopped pickles, onion or celery add them when you stir the dressing into the potatoes.
- To peel or not to peel the potatoes? It’s really up to you, but we prefer to peel the potatoes.
- This is make ahead friendly! You can make it 2-3 days in advance. In fact, we recommend making it at least a few hours before you serve it to allow the flavors to really come together.
- Leftovers? Store in refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
- Mix it up and stir in chopped and cooked bacon, minced dill and more!
- Serving it at a party or potluck? Fill a bowl with ice then place the bowl of potato salad on top of it to keep it chilled. As the ice melts drain water and add more ice.
Leave a Comment