Crock Pot BBQ Chicken recipe is quick and easy! Tender, juicy and delicious flavored with liquid smoke and smothered in barbecue sauce. With only three ingredients this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you need a grab and go meal for everyone. Pile it on buns, potatoes or whatever you’d like!
Every week I try to plan out a meal plan because it takes one stress out of my life, just like this easy Crock Pot BBQ Chicken does! When I know I’m coming home with a game plan for dinner after work I’m so much more relaxed. Otherwise I’m trying to figure out what’s in my cupboards or freezer and it stresses me out!
I try to have at least one Crock Pot recipe on the menu each week because then I don’t even have to do anything when I get home! A few of our favorites are Crock Pot Lasagna, Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs and Crock Pot Hearty Chili Mac!
I can’t believe I haven’t shared this Crock BBQ Chicken before this! I love it during the summer too when we are at the lake. I just throw in all the ingredients in the morning and it makes a great lunch, so we can be out enjoying the lake and not worry about lunch. It’s there when we need it! It’s also great for those crazy nights after school and work when you have more activities to rush off too.
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious Crock Pot BBQ Chicken recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Liquid smoke
- BBQ sauce
That’s right, only THREE ingredients!
How do I make Crock Pot BBQ Chicken?
- Cook – Place chicken in slow cooker, pour water and liquid smoke over chicken. Cook on low 4-6 hours.
- Shred – Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Drain liquid from slow cooker, reserving 1/2 c. Place shredded chicken and reserved liquid back in slow cooker along with BBQ sauce and mix. Heat on high until warmed through
It doesn’t get any easier than this. We love using this in sandwiches or topping baked potatoes with it!
How do you thicken BBQ chicken in crock pot?
If you’d like to thicken your BBQ sauce simply mix one part cornstarch with to parts cold water to form a slurry. We recommend using 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 2 Tbsp water. Mix the slurry into the crock pot with the BBQ Sauce. Let the mixture simmer at least 15 minutes or until it’s thickened.
Our BBQ sauce is thicker (we love Sweet Baby Ray’s!) so we don’t feel the need to do this!
Can you put frozen chicken in crock pot?
It is not recommended to put frozen chicken or any meat in the crock pot because the internal temperature of the meat does not rise fast enough to prevent it from sitting in the danger zone to long. If it sits in the “danger zone” of 40 degrees and 140 degrees to long bacteria grows more rapidly.
With that being said, other places say it’s safe as long as it reaches 165 degrees F during some point during the cooking time.
What goes with shredded BBQ Chicken?
How can I serve BBQ Chicken?
Stuff it into a bun for a quick and easy sandwich! Add cheese like pepper jack or top it with coleslaw to mix it up.
You can also use this is in Wraps, Pizzas, Baked Potatoes and more!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c. water
- 2 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 c. BBQ sauce
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Pour water and liquid smoke over chicken. Cook on low 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Drain liquid from slow cooker except for 1/2 c. Add 1/2 c. liquid from slow cooker to chicken and mix. Add BBQ Sauce to chicken and place back in slow cooker. Heat on high until mixture is heated through.
- Serve on buns, over baked potatoes, in taquitos or however you'd like to enjoy it!