Crock Pot Dinner recipes are so easy and delicious. This Mississippi Pot Roast is cooked in your slow cooker. Simply season a chuck roast, place it in your crock pot with pepperoncinis and beef broth on low. The result is a tender, fall apart roast to serve over mashed potatoes. Perfect for busy nights!
One thing I love about a slow cooker pot roast is that there are countless ways to prepare it! So, today I’m sharing this Mississippi pot roast which is so easy and so delicious you might not make it any other way once you try it!
Why is it Called Mississippi Pot Roast?
Pot roast has been around forever, but Mississippi pot roast was created not that long ago! It was first created by a home cook in the 1990s who lives in – you guessed it – the state of Mississippi.
Apparently, she adapted a recipe that was a little too spicy – she wanted something that her kids would eat. I can relate!
What she ended up with was a savory roast flavored with ranch seasonings and pepperoncini, a type of tangy jarred peppers that can be either spicy or mild. She shared the recipe and it ended up in a community cookbook and eventually made its way to the internet where it became a sensation.
You Will Love This Recipe!
- You only need a chuck roast and a handful of pantry ingredients to make it. It’s really low fuss!
- Instead of cooking it in the oven, I like to cook a roast in the crock pot. It’s the easiest way to cook it!
- You can leave it for four or eight hours depending on what works best for you!
- It is the best comfort food dinner. My family LOVES when I make this – it’s perfect with homemade mashed potatoes and glazed carrots on the side!
What Kind of Meat Should You Use for Pot Roast?
You will want to buy a beef chuck roast for this recipe. I usually get one that is between three to four pounds.
Chuck roast is perfect for braising which is basically what the slow cooker does when you use it to cook the roast. It needs a long cooking time, too, so making it in the crock pot means you can leave it all day without having to constantly check on it!
I love that these pot roast seasonings are really simple for this recipe. They’re things I usually have on hand in my pantry:
- Ranch seasoning
- Minced garlic
- French onion soup mix
The seasonings are mixed with the braising liquid which is made with beef broth and some of pepperoncini along with the juice they are packed in, which gives the broth a tangy kick.
This is an Easy Prep Recipe!
Once you have your ingredients it’s so easy to prep this dish! Place the meat in the crock pot, sprinkle the ranch, French onion soup mix, and garlic over the top.
Pour the beef broth and pepper juice into the slow cooker, sprinkle the pepperoncini over the top and then cover it with the lid.
Cook it for four hours on low or eight hours on high. Once it’s done, I like to remove about one cup of the broth to use as a gravy for serving.
Shred the beef and it’s ready to serve!
Some Side Dish Ideas!
Here are some side dishes we love with Mississippi Pot Roast:
- Cottage Potatoes are loaded with cheese and so delicious!
- Add some Air Fryer Asparagus for a light and healthy side dish.
- My easy Smashed Potatoes are always a hit when I make them!
- Easy Oven Roasted Vegetables pair perfectly with the savory beef!
Nope! You can just put it in as is. You can brown it first if you prefer, but I usually skip that to make it easier!
The easiest way to tell is to stick a fork in it. If you can easily twist the fork around without resistance it’s done! The meat should shred very easily.
Tough meat happens when it’s not cooked long enough or when it’s over cooked. As soon as the meat shreds easily it’s done!
If you want to hold it in the slow cooker you can adjust the temperature to warm or low and it will hold for a few hours. As long as there is plenty of liquid it shouldn’t dry out! You can always add a little more beef broth if it gets dry.
Store them in an airtight container and they will keep for three to four days in the refrigerator. The leftovers make the most amazing sandwiches!
This crockpot pot roast is so hearty, comforting and delicious. It’s so easy you don’t have to wait for the weekend to make it – it’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner! Just pop everything in the slow cooker in the morning and dinner will be ready.
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your delicious dinner!!
- 3-4 lb chuck roast
- 1 oz ranch seasoning packet
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2.2 oz French onion soup mix packet
- ½ cup pepperoncini juice from jar
- 6 pepperoncinis
- 3 cups beef broth
- Place chuck roast in crock pot. Sprinkle ranch packet, garlic, and French onion soup mix over top of roast.
- Then pour pepperoncini juice and beef broth into the crock pot. Add pepperoncinis and close the crock pot.
- Cook on low 8 hrs (or high 4 hours).
- After right hours remove 1 cup of juice from the crock pot and set aside. Then shred roast.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles or rice. Use reserved juice as gravy. Enjoy!