Looking for a hearty dinner that will please everyone? This creamy, cheesy Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham recipe is the answer! It’s a perfect meal for busy weeknights. Hearty, delicious and easy, plus it’s perfect for using up leftover ham. It reheats greats and makes a large batch!
A meat and potatoes dinner is pretty much music to my family’s ears! So, everyone gets excited when I make this easy scalloped potatoes with ham recipe because they can’t get enough of it!
This isn’t an old-fashioned recipe, we’re making this one in a crock pot. Growing up this dish was usually for holidays only but my Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes is so easy you can make it during the week. It’s rich and creamy and serious comfort food!
If you’re craving a hearty and filling dinner this is it! It’s so easy to make and it makes a big batch! If you have leftovers you can warm them up the next day and they’re just as delicious. I think you’re going to love this recipe!
Ingredients for Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Thin-sliced potatoes
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped onion
- Diced ham
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper
This is a great recipe to use up leftover baked ham! Or, look for packages of diced ham at the store to make it really easy.
Best Potatoes to Use
The best ones to use are a waxy variety like Yukon gold potatoes. They don’t have as much starch and hold their shape really well. Starchier potatoes might break down as they cook. Since this is a slow cooker recipe the potatoes will cook longer than an oven version and you don’t want them to fall apart!
Do I Have to Peel Them?
I do because the skins have a tendency to peel away from the potatoes as they cook, but this is totally up to you! You can make this dish with peeled or unpeeled potatoes.
How to Thinly Slice Potatoes
For this crock pot version, you don’t need paper-thin slices, but you do want them sliced thin. You can use a mandolin do to this or just use a sharp knife.
If you use a knife, just be sure to slice off a small section of one side to create a base as you slice it. You want the potato stable as you cut it and this will help! If you’re worried, you can always cut them in half and slice them with the flat side down. This will make half-moon slices instead of round ones, but it will still be delicious!
How to Make it in Four Easy Steps!
Step 1: In a bowl, combine the soup, water, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Step 2: Grease the inside of the crock pot and place the potatoes in the bottom.
Step 3: Add the cheese, onion and ham and stir to combine.
Step 4: Pour the soup mixture over the top, cover with the lid and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 hours.
I developed this recipe for the crock pot and haven’t tested in the oven. So, if you’re looking for a baked version you might want to try my baked scallop potatoes that also has ham.
Leftovers are Delicious
I love this recipe because the leftovers keep really well. I just store them in an airtight container and pop them in the refrigerator. They will keep well for a few days this way! To reheat, just warm them up in the microwave. Makes a perfect easy lunch the next day!
This is one of our favorite comfort food dinners and so easy to make! The combination of flavors is a match made in heaven – you have to try it! I hope you love it as much as I do.
Love this recipe? Here are some more crock pot recipes you might like, too!
- The gravy made with this Ranch Crock Pot Roast is to-die for!
- Looking for an entire meal in the slow cooker? You’ve got to check this Crock Pot Meatloaf with vegetables.
- Love lasagna, but hate the work? Crock Pot Lasagna is less work and just as delicious!
- Make this easy and delicious Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole!
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff is the ultimate comfort dinner!
- 6 potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 2 c. diced ham
- 10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Grease the inside of the Crock-Pot. Place sliced potatoes on the bottom of the crock pot. Add cheese, onion and ham and stir together.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, water, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes.
- Cover, cook on HIGH for about 4 hours until potatoes are fork tender or cook this on low for 8-10 hours.