Nutter Butter Ice Cream is an amazing homemade peanut butter ice cream with chunks of Nutter Butter Cookies! This homemade ice cream recipe is creamy, smooth and amazing. You will want to make this today and then save some in your freezer for later this summer. It’s the perfect treat to have in your freezer so you can enjoy it on a hot summer day.
The BEST Nutter Butter Ice Cream!
I’m in love. I might even cheat on my hubby. It’s called Nutter Butter Ice Cream. Oh, how I love thee. Creamy, Peanut Buttery, Smooth, Amazing.
I mean summer should be all about frozen desserts and treats, right? It’s hard not to dip into the homemade ice cream straight from our favorite ice cream maker, but we also love setting up an Ice Cream Bar for parties. It’s so fun to make a bunch of ice cream and layout all the toppings for everyone to make sundaes and this Nutter Butter Ice Cream is always the first to disappear!
But, let me get back to this Nutter Butter Ice Cream. Homemade peanut butter ice cream studded with Nutter Butter Cookies – I mean, what could be better? If you love peanut butter and cookies this ice cream is for you!
Keep scrolling for the complete recipe with the measurements and step by step directions further down!
- heavy cream
- half and half
- vanilla extract
- peanut butter
- chopped Nutter Butter cookies
How to Make Nutter Butter Ice Cream
Make Ice Cream – Combine the cream, half and half, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker. Churn the ice cream following the instructions for your ice cream machine.
Add Peanut Butter – When the ice cream is about halfway done, add the peanut butter by the spoonful to the ice cream maker.
Add Nutter Butter Cookies – Once the ice cream is just about done add the cookies to the ice cream maker. Or, you can remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and stir them in by hand.
That’s it! It’s so ridiculously easy you’ll want to make this ice cream all the time.
How do I store homemade ice cream?
- Store the homemade ice cream in a shallow container like a baking dish or loaf pan. Or, you can use a plastic storage container that is shallow and flat. This makes it a lot easier to scoop the ice cream.
- Cover your ice cream container with plastic wrap so it’s touching the surface of the ice cream.
- Cover the container with a lid. You want to make sure the ice cream is stored air-tight so it doesn’t develop ice crystals.
- Ice cream should be stored at 0 degrees F or below so be sure to check your freezer is cold enough!
- As tempting as it is to store ice cream near the front of the freezer (for all those sneaky spoonfuls!), it’s better to store it in the back of the freezer where it’s colder so it maintains it’s creamy texture. The front of your freezer can be warmer since it’s exposed to warm air every time the door is opened. If your ice cream is stored there it could thaw and refreeze which will give it a grainy texture.
Can I use chunky peanut butter instead of smooth peanut butter?
Yes, you can use chunky peanut butter or creamy peanut butter for this ice cream. Whatever makes you happy!
Does this homemade ice cream recipe use raw eggs?
This ice cream recipe does not have raw eggs.
How long does it take to make homemade ice cream?
It will depend on your specific ice cream maker, but homemade ice cream usually takes 30 to 40 minutes to make. If you like (very) soft-serve ice cream you can serve it from the ice cream maker, but if you prefer a firmer ice cream you will need to allow time for the ice cream to firm up in the freezer for at least two hours.
What makes homemade ice cream creamy?
There are a couple of things that makes homemade ice cream creamy. For this Nutter Butter Ice Cream recipe, the heavy cream and half and half, which are both fats, give the ice cream its rich and creamy texture. Also, when the ice cream is processed in the ice cream machine, lots of air is incorporated which also contributes to the creamy texture.
Have I convinced you yet? Creamy, cold Nutter Butter Ice Cream is sure to be a summer favorite – it is for us! Once you’ve tried it be sure to check out some of my other favorite ice cream recipes, too!
More Ice Cream Recipes!
Love it? I knew you would! Rate it, please!! It would be awesome if you’d give it a five-star rating below!
If you snap any photos, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Nutter Butter Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of half and half
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of peanut butter creamy or smooth
- 1 c. Nutter Butter Cookies coarsely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl combine, heavy cream, half and half, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into ice cream maker and prepare according to according to directions.
- When ice cream is about half done add peanut butter by the spoonful.
- In the last few minutes mix in the cookies or add these at the end by hand.