A beer cocktail made of equal parts of lager, like Guinness, and cider make this Snakebite Drink a two-ingredient drink that’s easy to make at home! It originates from the United Kingdom. Grab a pint glass and make this easy beertail today!
It’s all about a beer cocktail today otherwise known as a beertail! This Snakebite Drink is a combination of beer and hard cider and it’s my new favorite way to enjoy a beer. The combination is so good and with only two ingredients it’s one of the easiest drinks you can make! You don’t even need ice – just grab a glass, pour and serve! It doesn’t get any easier than that.
Why is it Called a Snakebite Drink?
To be honest, no one really knows! The Snakebite originated in the United Kingdom and is a popular pub drink, but the reason for the name isn’t so clear. Some people think it’s because it’s pretty potent and if you have too many you won’t feel so great the next day. Some bartenders in Great Britain won’t even serve it because they say it’s illegal but this isn’t necessarily true, so who knows? All you need to know is that it’s delicious!
A Super Easy Two-Ingredient Beertail
Okay, get your notepads out because I wouldn’t want you to forget these ingredients – ha! Even I can make a Snakebite from memory!
- Hard Cider
- Guinness beer
What is Guinness Beer?
One of the most popular stout beers in the world is Guinness. It’s a dark-style beer that is best described as smooth and rich with a little bitterness. It’s common in the US to make Snakebite Drinks with Guinness, but you can also make it with a lager-style beer which is common in the United Kingdom.
What is Hard Cider?
Hard cider is basically an alcoholic apple cider! It’s made in a similar way to wine and beer – it’s fermented until it develops its own alcohol content.
How to Make a Snakebite Drink
Did you write down the ingredients I shared earlier? Remember it’s only two! Easiest drink ever:
- Prep Glass – I like to start with a chilled beer glass. Just pop it in the freezer until it’s nice and frosty.
- Pour – Fill half of the glass with the hard cider. Top the cider with the beer.
That’s it! The drink has a pretty two-toned look – you don’t need to stir it, the beer will sink down into the cider.
A Snakebite is a really great drink year-round, but especially for St. Patrick’s Day! It’s so easy there’s no reason to not give it a try – I hope you love it!
Snakebite & Black
Another version of this drink is called a Snakebite & Black, which is adding blackcurrant cordial. If you want to make this version just add a dash of the blackcurrant cordial!
More Fun Drinks to Try
- Another great drink to make with Guinness are Irish Car Bombs – you only need three ingredients!
- This Irish Trash Can drink is a fun cocktail that mixes up a half dozen varieties of alcohol and then is topped with a can of Red Bull. It’s a must for parties!
- Everything you need to know to make the perfect, festive Green Beer for St. Patrick’s Day! I share my best tips and tricks to help you make the perfect pint of green beer.
- Have you ever heard of a Pickleback? Silly? Maybe! Fun, absolutely! And you’re going to love how easy this cocktail is to make!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 12 oz lager beer Guiness
- 12 oz hard cider
- Fill a chilled beer glass halfway full of cider.
- Top the cider with lager and serve.