Red Velvet Cookies ~ Soft red velvet cookies stuffed with chocolate chips and topped with cream cheese frosting!
This past weekend I rolled out of bed at 8:30 am. Yes that’s right. Miss K finally slept in! We maybe have let her stay up WAY past her bedtime on Friday night, but hey she slept. The hubby had to work so I just soaked up my extra zzzz’s.
When I got up I stumbled over to the computer and checked Facebook. I usually don’t do this, but I did this morning. Well I had a message from a bestie from college, whom I haven’t saw in forever. She was wondering what I was doing this weekend and was thinking about visiting. In her message she included that we should baked and blog! Since I had the weekend free I said, “Heck Yes!”
She packed up her 8 month old and made the 3 hour treck out to western MN from the big metropolis of Minneapolis, actually a suburb, but details.
We had a ton of fun, a couple batches of cookies were made, snack mix was made, lots of wine was consumed and we played with the kiddos. Life was good. Why is it that the unplanned, spontaneous days are sometimes the best?
She sent me a list of recipes she wanted to try and she said these Red Velvet Cookies were awesome, so I decided to give them a shot. They didn’t disappoint. I never even knew you could make Red Velvet Cookies! The only other Red Velvet recipe I had made was this yummy Easy Red Velvet Cake.
This cookies are soft, cake like and have a surprise of chocolate chips in them. If you are looking for a little bit different Christmas cookie this year add these to your list!
- 2 one ounce squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 c. butter, room temp
- 2/3 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 c. white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp red food coloring
- 3/4 c. sour cream
- 2 c. flour, firmly packed
- 1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Unwrap squares of chocolate and put them in a microwavable bowl. Melt in microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Add baking soda and salt. Beat for another minute or until well mixed. Add the egg and beat until it is well mixed. Add red food coloring and mix until well incorporated.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Scrap sides of bowl. Mix in one cup flour. Mix in sour cream. Add the rest of the flour and mix well. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoon sized cookies onto a greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 11 minutes or until they rise and become firm. Cool on wire rack.
- For the frosting mix butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add powered sugar. Adjust powdered sugar for desired spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookies.
This recipe may be shared on the following sites – Please give them a visit!
*This post may include links to my Amazon.com affiliate account and Julie's Eats & Treats earns a few cents on the dollar if you purchase the items I share with you. Thank you for supporting my blog when you shop at Amazon!
Make sure you don’t miss any of the fun stuff Julie’s Eats & Treats is up to!