Chewy, soft sugar cookies are the perfect treat for any occasion. This no-chill dough recipe is super easy and results in the perfect drop sugar cookie. You can either roll them in sugar or frost them with my favorite Sugar Cookie Frosting that hardens. Plus, they freeze great which makes them the perfect cookie for making ahead of time for the holidays. Your cookie tray won’t be complete without them!
I love, love, love the magic of the season! All while enjoying some of my favorite holidays treats like Chocolate Covered Cherries, White Chocolate Molasses Cookies and Peanut Brittle. I made some Crock Pot Chocolate Peanut Clusters and we’ve been munching on these amazing soft sugar cookies!
I’ve enjoyed watching some of my favorite Christmas movies; Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Story and of course How the Grinch Stole Christmas with the kids! Does it get any better than that?
All the while hugging my babies, baking holiday cookies and making memories. This is the BEST time of the year!
Oh and did I mention Hallmark movies? #obsessed
Soft Sugar Cookies
How about you? Are you dancing around the house with a cup of eggnog or sitting with your feet up gazing at the tree?
You’ll find me on my chaise, cup of hot chocolate, fire place blazing and Hallmark movies on my TV. Oh, and of course a cookie in hand!
You’ll definitely want to bake up a batch of these delicious drop sugar cookies to celebrate the season, slather them with Homemade Sugar Cookie Frosting and set them out for Santa!
Have you checked out that Sugar Cookie Frosting yet? It’s AMAZING. I’ve always wanted a frosting that would get hard enough to stack cookies in containers, but yet still be delicious. I finally found it. This is IT! You’ve gotta whip up a batch along with these sugar cookies!
Do you put sprinkles on drop sugar cookies before or after baking?
I recommend sprinkles AFTER you add the Homemade Sugar Cookie Frosting of course! This frosting hardens, so after topping off the cookies add the sprinkles and allow them to set. Then you can stack them in a container before tucking into the refrigerator.
Tips for making soft sugar cookies
- Don’t overwork the dough, it will toughen the dough.
- Bake until just set, overbaking will make a crispy cookie.
- Keeping the cookies the same size, helps ensure they will bake evenly.
- Allow them to cool completely before frosting.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
One year I was in a big rush and I got the Pillsbury sugar cookie dough and made those cookies then topped them with my homemade frosting.
I served them up to my guests.
Any guesses on what happened next?
They asked for the recipe of course. I had to bury my head in shame and then giggle a little. Seriously, though they were so good!
That’s why I made my own version. A little crisp on the outside and chewy and delicious on the inside!
How do you make soft chewy sugar cookies?
- Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add in egg and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
- Next, add baking soda, powder and salt. Mix until just combined. Gradually add flour scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Roll in balls or drop by tablespoons of dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until just set.
- When cool, frost and enjoy!
How long will drop sugar cookies last?
Well not long at my house! 🤣 Seriously though keep them in the fridge. Homemade cookies will get stale if kept on the counter. Or wrapped well, they will last in the freezer for a couple of months. Baking cookies ahead of time is always a great option!
More great holiday cookies to enjoy!
- Snowman Cookies
- Easy Peppermint Macaroons
- Snowflake Snickerdoodles
- Christmas Cookies
- Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Truffles
When you try these be sure to leave a five-star rating below, I know you’ll love these cookies! If you are over on Instagram, tag me at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 c. butter softened
- 1 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 1 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
- Next, add in the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined. Gradually add flour mixing as you go. Make sure to scrape the side of the bowl every once in a while.
- If you want you can roll the dough into 1'' balls and roll into granulated sugar, place about 2'' apart on prepared baking sheet. Your other option is to drop tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet about 2'' apart if you don't want sugar on them.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until just set. You don't want to over bake them or they won't be chewy and soft!
- Remove from oven and cool.
- After they cool frosting them with my favorite homemade frosting or enjoy plain!