Love a baked potato with a crispy skin and tender, light, fluffy inside? Did you know you can make the perfect baked potato in your Air Fryer? These Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are seasoned on the outside and cooked to perfection, just like a restaurant!
Fluffy baked potatoes with the crispiest skin and you don’t even have to turn on your oven! Using your air fryer to make a baked potato is great all year round, but when it’s hot out it’s the only way I’ll make them. Heating up the kitchen on a hot summer day makes me not so happy!
Plus, air fryer baked potatoes are EASY and taste just like the ones served at fancy steakhouses. Loaded with all of your favorite toppings you can make them a main dish or serve them alongside stuffed chicken breasts, BBQ ribs, or meatloaf for a hearty dinner everyone will love.
How to Make Crispy Baked Potatoes
It starts with the right potatoes! I always use russets for this recipe because they cook perfectly and have that light and fluffy texture on the inside with crispy skin on the outside. Yukon Gold Potatoes are another great option to use.
I love to use my air fryer for potatoes because it gives food a really crispy texture – almost like frying except you don’t have to use all the oil! It works by circulating hot air all around the food, which creates a really crispy exterior so it’s perfect for a baked potato!
The other trick in making crispy-skinned potatoes is to season them with salt and other spices before you cook them. The salt draws out moisture from the skin which makes it easy to get that nice and crispy texture.
So, don’t skip the garlic salt rub! It adds lots of flavor, but will make a big difference in how crispy they are, too.
How to Make Them!
First thing you want to do is wash them and make sure they are completely dry. If they are wet they steam and we want crispy, perfect potatoes, not steamed ones.
Just rub the potatoes with the oil followed by the garlic powder, salt, and pepper mixture. Use a fork to poke holes in the potatoes so the steam can escape.
Place them in your air fryer in a single layer and cook them for 30 to 40 minutes at 390 degrees F, flipping them halfway through the cooking time.
Make sure you don’t overcrowd the Air Fryer, you want the air to circulate around the potatoes.
The cooking time will vary a bit depending on how big your potatoes are. When a fork pierces easily through the center they are done! You can also check the internal temperature of the potato and it should be 205 degrees F.
That’s it! I told you it was easy.
Add all the Toppings!
I like to slice them down the middle and then sort of pinch the sides of the potato so the fluffy insides move up. This makes it easy to add all of your favorite toppings.
When I serve them as a side dish, I usually keep the toppings simple but you can load them up as much as you want! Here are some ideas:
- I always love butter! It melts down inside and is so good!
- Add some cheese like shredded cheddar, Monterey jack, pepper jack, provolone. Parmesan… so many kinds of cheese will work so choose your favorite!
- Adding fresh chopped herbs like parsley, chives, and time adds color and flavor.
- Cooked bacon! I love to crumble bacon over the top – my family loves, it, too.
- Add a dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt if you want to keep it a little lighter.
- Sometimes I serve them with chili on top and make them the main course! Top it with cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions. Yum!
However you plan to serve them I know you will love them! It’s one of my favorite ways to use my air fryer and they turn out perfectly every time!
More Amazing Air Fryer Recipes!
- If you love this recipe I’m sharing today, you have to try my Baked Sweet Potatoes, too! They are another favorite side dish.
- One of the easiest side dishes ever is my Air Fryer Asparagus! They come out perfectly crisp-tender and go with so many main dishes.
- Chicken Parmesan is one of my family’s favorite dinners and it’s so easy made in your air fryer!
Love it? I knew you would! Rate it, please!! It would be awesome if you’d give it a five-star rating below! If you snap any photos, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes medium sized, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp finely ground sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 390 degrees F.
- While it is preheating clean and dry the potatoes. Pierce each potato with a fork a few times to release steam as they are cooking.
- Rub each potato with olive oil.
- In a small bowl combine spices then rub potato skins with the spices.
- Place potatoes in the air fryer basket.
- Cook potatoes for 30 – 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- They are ready when a fork easily pierces through them. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of potatoes.
- Carefully remove potatoes from air fryer basket, slice lengthwise and pinch each side of the potatoes, forcing the inside of the potato up. Serve with butter, bacon, cheese, Greek yogurt, chives etc.
- The other trick in making crispy-skinned potatoes is to season them with salt and other spices before you cook them. The salt draws out moisture from the skin which makes it easy to get that nice and crispy texture.
- When you wash them, make sure they are completely dry. If they are wet they steam and we want crispy, perfect potatoes, not steamed ones.
- Make sure you don’t overcrowd the Air Fryer, you want the air to circulate around the potatoes.
- The cooking time will vary a bit depending on how big your potatoes are. When a fork pierces easily through the center they are done! You can also check the internal temperature of the potato and it should be 205 degrees F.