Easy homemade Chili recipe is loaded with ground beef, beans, and a blend of delicious seasonings. It’s rich, hearty and the perfect bowl of chili to warm up with on a blustery winter day. You only need 30 minutes to make it! This is the perfect dinner recipe when you need comfort food and something fast! It will become your go to chili recipe for the winter.
I have some tasty chilis on the blog – The Best Crockpot Chili, Instant Pot Chili, Crock Pot White Chicken Chili and even Sausage & Black Eyed Pea Chili! Today we’re serving up some rich delicious chili that’s super easy to make. This chili is hearty and will warm your belly especially on those blustery cold nights!
Perfect for wintertime, don’t you agree?!!
Or the next option is to tuck it away in the freezer, so when I’m out of ideas for dinner I have a secret stash to dig into! Always amazing when I’m in the panic mode and then remember I have chili in the freezer!
It’s also a great meal to feed a crowd, so if you’re having friends over to watch the game or doing some tailgating, a big pot of chili is always a great option! Topping choices for a chili bar are endless!
- Sour cream
- Sliced black olives
Easy Chili Recipe
I remember eating chili growing up and it was one of those comforting meals that were perfect on a cold, blustery night in Minnesota. Let’s get real, that’s almost every night for six months in Minnesnowta!
Did I mention my husband drives snowplow for the state and in the last five days he’s racked up enough comp time for an extra week of vacation due to some major snowfall?
Did I also mention that it’s supposed snow 4-6 more inches tonight and tomorrow along with the wind blowing up to 30-40 mph so he’s likely to see the snowplow more even though he took the day off tomorrow and it’s a holiday the next day?
Someone, please remind me why we live here?!
I’ll be thankful when we get to burn up that extra vacation at the lake this summer, right?
In the meantime I’ll be at home with the kiddos making big batches of this easy chili recipe and snuggling up in front of the fireplace!
What ingredients go into chili?
- Beef broth
- Chili beans
- Tomato sauce
- Chili powder
- Garlic salt
- Tomato paste
- Petite diced tomatoes
What kind of meat is used for chili?
You can really use a variety of meats for chili; beef chuck, ground turkey, beef short ribs, but in this easy chili I prefer using ground beef. Hamburger has great flavor and you don’t have to simmer it all day to tenderize the meat.
What is the difference between chili and chili con carne?
Chili con carne means chili with meat. Traditional chili contains beef simmered in peppers, tomatoes and spices. There’s a big debate regarding chili – is it really chili if it contains beans? Staunch opponents say chili never has beans, but I think conversation is regional.
Personally, big fan of chili with beans and that’s what I’m serving up today!
If you are looking for the perfect hearty chili that is prepared on your stove top in a flash this is it!
If you are more an Instant Pot lover make sure to try this Award Winning Chili!
Steps to make Homemade Chili Recipe
- In a large pot over medium heat add the hamburger and onions and cook until onions are translucent and beef is cooked through.
- Add the garlic during the last minute of cooking, drain grease.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the soup pot and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chili from the stove and let sit 5-10 minutes then serve.
More great homemade chili recipes to love!
Love your chili? Me too! Be sure to snap photos of your bowl and tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your photo!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS EASY CHILI RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Easy Homemade Chili Recipe
- 1 lb ground hamburger
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz beef broth
- 1 can chili beans 15.5 oz
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- sour cream and shredded cheese to top with optional
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14.5 oz can
- In a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat add hamburger and onions and cook until onions are translucent and ground beef is cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic during last minute of cooking. Drain grease off.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to dutch oven and stir to combine. Bring to a low boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chili from stove and let set 5-10 minutes then serve. Top with cheese and sour cream if desired!