Easy homemade Chili recipe is loaded with ground beef, beans, and a blend of delicious seasonings. It’s rich, hearty and the perfect dinner to warm up with on a blustery winter day. You only need 30 minutes to make it! This is the perfect dinner recipe when you need comfort food and something fast.
There’s nothing like warming up with a huge bowl of chili on a cold winter night. If you asked me to name one comfort food I crave during the winter it would be this! It’s warm, filling and delicious. This stovetop version is ready in 30 minutes and is packed with flavor.
Since I love it so much I have quite a few versions to pick from! Come home and have it ready for you with this amazing Crockpot Chili! If you love your pressure cooker try our Instant Pot Chili! My kids love my Crock Pot Chili Mac, it has noodles do we need to say more?!
- Beef broth
- Chili beans
- Tomato sauce
- Chili powder
- Garlic salt
- Tomato paste
- Petite diced tomatoes
Steps to Prepare
- Brown Hamburger – In a large pot over medium heat add the hamburger and onions and cook until onions are translucent and beef is cooked through. Add the garlic during the last minute of cooking, drain grease.
- Mix – Add the rest of the ingredients to the soup pot and stir to combine.
- Simmer – Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Serve – Remove the it from the stove and let sit 5-10 minutes then serve.
A great idea when you are entertaining a crowd is a chili bar. Perfect for watching football, holidays etc. Here are some of our favorite toppings that you could set out to top your chili with.
- Sour cream
- Cottage cheese
- Sliced black olives
What kind of meat is used for chili?
You can really use a variety of meats; beef chuck, ground turkey, beef short ribs, but in this recipe I prefer using ground beef. Hamburger has great flavor and you don’t have to simmer it all day to tenderize the meat.
How to Store Leftovers
Place the chili in a storage container with lid off. Let it cool to room temperature. When it’s at room temperature place lid on and seal container, then place in the refrigerator.
It will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator. If you won’t use it by then place it in the freezer to store.
You have the option of store leftovers in a freezer-safe bag, glass or plastic airtight containers.
First, place the chili in storage container of your choice. Don’t seal with container top or close bag. You want it to cool down to room temperature.
Once it’s at room temperature seal the bag or container and place in the freezer. If you used a bag lay it flat, so it’s easier to stack. A great tip is to place it on a sheet pan and freezer for 2 hours, remove from baking sheet and stack.
It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Ideas for Leftovers!
- Chili Dogs
- Chili Cheese Fries
- Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Breakfast Bowl – Scrambled Eggs, melted cheese, crispy taters and chili!
- Chili Cheese Dip
What to Serve with Chili?
- The most popular option is this delicious homemade cornbread recipe!
- Another great option is to make breadsticks. We love dunking them!
- You can never go wrong with a fresh tossed salad.
- How about an Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
Love this easy recipe? Me too! Be sure to snap photos of your bowl and tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your photo.
Easy Homemade Chili Recipe
- 1 lb ground hamburger
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz beef broth
- 1 can chili beans 15.5 oz
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- sour cream and shredded cheese to top with optional
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14.5 oz can
- In a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat add hamburger and onions and cook until onions are translucent and ground beef is cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic during last minute of cooking. Drain grease off.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to dutch oven and stir to combine. Bring to a low boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chili from stove and let set 5-10 minutes then serve. Top with cheese and sour cream if desired!