Just when you thought making a grilled cheese couldn’t get easier! You have got to try this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese. Ready in a few minutes, it’s crispy on the outside and the inside is perfectly melted, ooey, gooey cheese! You can use less butter or even a light spray of olive oil if you’d like.
After making – oh, I don’t know – a million grilled cheese sandwiches since having kids I have finally figured out how to make the best grilled cheese sandwich!
You don’t need a griddle, you don’t need a ton of butter, you don’t even need a stove! You can make amazing grilled sandwiches in your – ready for it? – air fryer!
Why this recipe works:
- You don’t even need butter
- Perfectly crispy and delicious
- Ready in 10 minutes
The Best Cheese and Bread to Use
I’m pretty picky about my sandwiches and for this one I always use thick-sliced Texas toast. It’s the perfect bread for so many things (like French toast!) and definitely the one I recommend for grilled cheese.
For the cheese, you want to use one that melts really well. We usually go for American but here are some other options you might like, too:
- Monterey jack
- Pepper jack
You can definitely do a mix of cheeses but just be careful to not overload your sandwich otherwise the cheese may not melt all the way. I usually stick with one to two slices of cheese per sandwich.
As far as the butter, you can use it or not! Sometimes I just lightly spray the bread with cooking spray – it still gets nice and crispy when you cook it.
How to Toast a Sandwich in an Air Fryer
- Butter your bread slices on one side and place the cheese on the non-buttered side. Top with the other slice of bread so the buttered side is on the outside.
- Place the sandwiches in the air fryer in a single layer. Don’t stack them. I can fit two sandwiches at a time in mine.
- Cook them for four to five minutes, flip them over, and then cook them for four to five minutes longer or until they are golden and the cheese is melted.
If you can’t find Texas toast you can substitute another sturdy sandwich bread that you like!
When you cook a sandwich in the air fryer you don’t need as much butter so use a light hand. It will still come out really toasty and delicious!
Make sure your sandwiches are in an even layer and not overlapped. In order for them to evenly toast and cook both sides need to be exposed to the hot air circulating in the air fryer.
Depending on the kind of bread and how much cheese you add (less is more!) be sure to keep an eye on your sandwiches while they cook. It’s always a good idea to check before the end of the cooking time to ensure they don’t over cook.
Want More Amazing Sandwiches?
I love a great sandwich! Here are some more we love to make:
- A Classic Reuben is easy to make at home! Or try a Rachel which is similar but with a few twists.
- A Monte Cristo is like a cross between French toast and a turkey melt and it’s delicious!
- A Tuna Melt is another classic that you can serve open-faced or as a sandwich! Creamy tuna salad with cheese and tomatoes is so good!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 4 slices Texas Toast or any thick, hearty bread
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 4 slices cheese good melting like American, Swiss, Cheddar etc.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Lay a piece of cheese on the unbuttered side of one slice of bread top with another slice of bread, butter side out. Repeat for a second sandwich.
- Place sandwiches in an Air Fryer basket making sure they aren’t overlapping, depending on your Air Fryer size you might have to do one at a time. Cook at 350 degrees for about 4-5 minutes and flip the sandwich. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the outside of the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melted inside. Different types of bread will cook at different rates so make sure to check it!
- If you can’t find Texas toast you can substitute another sturdy sandwich bread that you like!
- When you cook a sandwich in the air fryer you don’t need as much butter so use a light hand. It will still come out really toasty and delicious!
- Make sure your sandwiches are in an even layer and not overlapped. In order for them to evenly toast and cook both sides need to be exposed to the hot air circulating in the air fryer.
- Depending on the kind of bread and how much cheese you add (less is more!) be sure to keep an eye on your sandwiches while they cook. It’s always a good idea to check before the end of the cooking time to ensure they don’t over cook.