There’s nothing like a hearty breakfast of classic Biscuits and Gravy on a weekend morning! This easy sausage gravy served over biscuits will fill you up and warm you up. The gravy is hearty and full of flavor plus biscuits that are light and fluffy. You can’t go wrong with this delicious combo!
For a stick-to-your-ribs breakfast, you can’t go wrong with homemade biscuits and gravy! Tender, flaky biscuits topped with creamy sausage gravy are a match made in breakfast heaven.
If you’ve never made it yourself, all you need to know is that it’s not complicated! And it’s so worth it if you love a savory, hearty meal to start the day.
Why This Recipe Works
- I’m showing you how to make an easy sausage gravy recipe. You only need a few ingredients and one skillet to make it.
- You can use homemade biscuits or take a short-cut and used canned biscuits if you’re short on time. I’ve been there – sometimes you need a shortcut, but if you have time you can’t beat homemade!
- This is an easy recipe I’ve made for breakfast AND dinner. Yes, biscuits and gravy for dinner is so good and perfect when you’re craving something comforting.
Everyone will love this biscuits and gravy recipe! It’s a winner for the weekends but easy enough to make during the week, too!
- Biscuits – homemade biscuits are amazing and not hard to make! Or, feel free to use premade biscuits if you want a short cut.
- Ground pork sausage – I think pork makes the best gravy, but feel free to sub ground beef, turkey, or even chicken! You can also use Italian sausage for this recipe for a different flavor.
- All-purpose flour – this thickens the gravy when combined with milk.
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder – easy pantry seasonings give the gravy the best flavor.
- Butter – this works with the flour and milk to make an amazing thick gravy!
- Whole milk – for the best creamy gravy, use whole milk and not 2% or skim.
How To Make It
Bake: Make and bake the biscuits. If using canned biscuits, follow the instructions on the package.
Brown: While the biscuits bake, brown the pork in a large skillet over medium heat. Once it’s browned, drain off the excess grease in the pan.
Make the Thickener: Add the butter to the pan and let it melt. Stir it with the pork and then add the flour and all of the seasonings. Stir until the flour is absorbed.
Turn it into Gravy! Slowly add the milk while whisking. After all of it is added, bring the skillet to a boil and then lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook the gravy for about five minutes or until it’s creamy and thick!
Serve: When the biscuits are done baking, split them in half and spoon that creamy, hearty gravy over the top. Garnish with some chopped parsley if you’re feeling fancy!
What To Serve With Biscuits And Gravy
We have biscuits and gravy for breakfast and for dinner! It really works for both depending on the side dishes you add. Here are some ideas:
For Breakfast: Since it’s on the heavier side, I like to add lighter breakfast side dishes like a fruit salad and my easy oven-baked scrambled eggs! You can’t go wrong with a fresh orange smoothie, too.
For Dinner: Add a vegetable on the side to turn it into dinner! Air Fryer broccoli or asparagus are really easy to make. Or, try my crockpot ranch carrots or just a simple green salad with your favorite dressing!
The leftover gravy will keep well in the refrigerator for a few days. Just keep it in an airtight container. When you warm it up, you might need to add a splash or two of milk to thin it since it will thicken up when it’s cold.
The biscuits will keep for a couple of days at room temperature or you can keep them in the refrigerator for a few more days. Just keep them tightly wrapped. They’re never as good as when they’re first baked, but they will still taste good.
Can You Make Biscuits And Gravy Ahead?
You can make the gravy up to a day ahead and warm it up on the stove when you’re ready to make it. You can also bake the biscuits ahead of time, but I think they’re best warm from the oven!
If you’re short on time and want the same flavors in an easy make-ahead casserole, you should try my Overnight Biscuits and Gravy Casserole. You can prep the whole thing ahead and bake it in the morning for an easy breakfast!
Whether you make it from scratch or use a shortcut, one thing’s for sure – everyone will clean their plates when you make biscuits and gravy!
More Cozy Breakfast Ideas!
- Put a fall twist on breakfast and serve up stacks of homemade Pumpkin French Toast!
- There’s nothing better than having breakfast ready to go when you wake up! My Breakfast Casserole with turkey and potatoes will make your morning a breeze.
- Comforting mashed potato combined with eggs makes a hearty and filling breakfast! Everyone loves this Cheesy Mashed Potato Egg Casserole.
- Make my Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread for the best weekend breakfast treat! Tastes like cinnamon rolls but so much easier to make.
- 8 Biscuits
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 c. whole milk
- While biscuits are baking, prepare gravy.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ground pork to skillet and brown, breaking up sausage as it cooks with spatula, about 5 minutes.
- When sausage is browned, drain off grease.
- Add the butter to the skillet with pork sausage and let it melt. Then add flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper to the skillet. Stir and cook until the flour is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk to skillet, then turn up the heat to medium-high to bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, until the gravy is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Split biscuits in half and serve sausage gravy on top.