Need a new twist on an old favorite? This easy, creamy Cashew Coleslaw Salad is what you need! Your favorite homemade coleslaw with the addition of chopped cauliflower, cashews and bacon pieces. Try this new salad for all of your summer BBQs, picnics, potlucks and more.
Crunchy and cold with a creamy dressing this cashew coleslaw salad is a big upgrade from regular plain coleslaw! It’s a combination of crisp veggies, a creamy sweet dressing, crunchy cashews, and crispy bacon and altogether it’s the best side dish for all the summer potlucks, BBQs, and parties. You’ll want to make a big batch!
I love this coleslaw because you can make most of it ahead. In fact, you should make it ahead because it gives the flavors a chance to develop and you want it to be nice and cold when you serve it. Cabbage and cauliflower are really sturdy so they hold up well in the dressing so by the time you serve it they’re still crunchy and crisp. It’s a lot like my broccoli salad which is another make-ahead side dish I love to make!
Don’t you just love summer salads? I can’t get enough of cold pasta salads, dessert salads and this cashew coleslaw is just another favorite to add to the list! If you’ve been looking for an easy recipe for the summer I think you’re going to love it.
About Cashew Coleslaw Salad
This coleslaw is basically three parts: the veggies, the dressing, and the add-ins.
- Vegetables: For the coleslaw, I just buy those bags of shredded coleslaw which usually have green and purple cabbage plus shredded carrots. I’ve also seen bags of just shredded green cabbage so you can use that, too. I like to use the bagged slaw because it just saves time! There’s also cauliflower so you can buy a head of it and cut it into florets yourself (you only need 1/2) or buy a bag of fresh florets if you want to skip the prep.
- Dressing: It doesn’t get any easier than a two-ingredient dressing! Sugar and Miracle Whip are all you need.
- Add-Ins: Cashews and crumbled bacon give it a crunchy finish!
How to Make It!
- Combine the sugar and Miracle Whip together in a large bowl.
- Add the coleslaw and cauliflower and stir until everything is evenly coated in the dressing. Chill the salad for two hours.
- Before serving, add the crumbled bacon and cashews. Toss the salad again and serve!
How far advance can I make it?
The salad holds well in the refrigerator for up to a day, so if you want to make it the night before you want to serve it that will work! Leftovers will keep for three to four days in the refrigerator, but after a couple of days the dressing may break down a bit, so it’s a good idea to use up the leftovers within a day or so.
Can I use mayonnaise instead of Miracle Whip?
Miracle Whip and mayonnaise are made with the same ingredients but Miracle Whip has a few more ingredients that give it a sweeter and little spicier flavor than mayo. So, yes you can use them interchangeably but the salad will be less sweet if you use mayo.
How long can it sit at room temperature?
Whether you use Miracle Whip or mayo you shouldn’t let the slaw sit out at room temperature for too long. The rule of thumb is up to two hours, but if it’s warm or hot I would put it back in the fridge sooner. When I serve it for parties I wait to bring it out until just before we plan to eat it and then, once everyone has helped themselves, I put it back in the fridge.
Just to be safe you can put ice in a bowl and then place the bowl of salad on top of it so it will keep it cold while you serve it.
The flavors in this coleslaw are so good and the textures are amazing, too! Whenever I make it people can’t help but have two or three helpings – I can’t wait for you to try it!
More Easy Recipes for Summer
We are all about the easy recipes during the summer so be sure to check out some of my other favorite dishes to make:
- We love all the grilled chicken and my chicken marinade recipe is the best! It has so much flavor, is the perfect amount of sweet and tangy and keeps your chicken tender, juicy and delicious!
- There is nothing better than homemade potato salad and I use my Instant Pot to cook the potatoes in a flash! You’ll skip the deli potato salad after you try my recipe.
- Here in the midwest, no potluck is complete without a cookie salad!
Love this easy salad? Tell your friends, please share the recipe and leave a five-star comment below! Tag me on Instagram stories when you make these at @julieseatsandtreats.com!!
Cashew Coleslaw Salad
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 c. Miracle Whip
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut up
- 1 16 oz bag coleslaw
- 1 c. cashews
- 1/2 c. chopped bacon
- Mix sugar and Miracle Whip. Add coleslaw and cauliflower. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until serving.
- Right before serving add cashews and bacon.