Greek Salad is a quick and simple salad that’s full of flavor and crunch. Greek Salad Ingredients are bright fresh and delicious. Pair this salad with leftover rotisserie chicken or seafood for a delicious and healthy meal!
Are you looking for a salad that isn’t full of kale or spinach? I have several salads on the blog – Like this Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad, Lettuce Frito Salad or Cashew Chicken Rotini Salad but it’s the New Year so maybe you’re looking for a healthy salad that’s super easy to make.
I know I can get tired of eating greens day after day so I am always looking for ways to get some healthy veggies in without the greens.
Salads like this Grilled Corn Salad with Tomato and Avocado, Chicken Avocado and Tomato Salad are some of my go to’s and if you do like your greens try this Tuscan Tuna Salad. If you love a great pasta salad then be sure to try Greek Pasta Salad Recipe it’s one of my favorites!
Best Greek Salad Recipe
This salad is a great salad to enjoy year round. However, it doesn’t hold up well so don’t make this too far in advance of when you plan to serve. I would say no more than 2 hours.
Because the tomatoes and cucumbers give off too much liquid and the salad starts to get a little soggy. Personally, I will still eat the leftovers the next day but I’m also not that picky when it comes to food.
Ingredients for traditional Greek Salad
- Traditional Greek salad Ingredients ALWAYS include tomato, cucumber, red onion, green bell pepper, kalamata olives, feta cheese, dried oregano, red wine vinegar, and good extra virgin olive oil.
I have added a few extra ingredients because that’s just how I roll. I added fresh parsley, minced garlic, and Dijon mustard because I like the flavor it adds. Feel free to leave them out if you want to stay traditional.
Greek Salad Dressing Recipe Ingredients
- extra virgin olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- dried oregano
- Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
What kind of cheese is used in Greek salad?
Feta Cheese is the traditional choice! When you purchase the cheese at the store it’s sold in packages as crumbles or a chunk. I always choose the “chunk” version, you can crumble it yourself and it’s more affordable. The crumbles dry out faster too – chunk is the way to go!
Greek Salad Ingredients
Tomatoes: Use the ripest you can find for best quality. Cut into large chunks or even wedges to keep this salad traditional.
Cucumbers: English cucumbers work great in this salad and is preferred over regular cucumbers. However, if that’s all you can find be sure to peel them and remove the seeds if the seeds are large.
Red Onion: The only onion you should ever use in fresh salads, period.
Green Bell Pepper: For this to be traditional only green is used but I won’t tell if you use red, orange or yellow!
Kalamata Olives: Try to find the best quality you can. Look for dark almost black olives. If you have access to an olive bar there are usually pretty good olives there.
Feta Cheese: If you can find a block of feta that is ideal. That way you can break it into larger chunks. Or if you want to be completely traditional cut it into wedges instead.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Good quality is a must here because it’s the base for the dressing.
Red Wine Vinegar: This adds a lot of flavor and a slight tang to the salad.
Dried Oregano: Most of the time just sprinkled on the salad but I added it to the dressing instead.
How do you make the best Greek salad?
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing and shake well, set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine the remaining ingredients and gently toss.
- Drizzle with salad dressing and serve.
What to serve with this Chopped Greek Salad:
- Grilled BBQ Tenderloin or Roasted Red Pepper Kale Stuffed Chicken Breasts or even leftover rotisserie chicken goes really well with this salad.
- I also really like it with salmon. Keep the Lemon Pepper Salmon would be perfect, it’s light and simple.
- Stuff it in pita bread for a vegetarian sandwich or top off some gyros.
Love this? I know you will! Be sure and comment below and share this recipe – it’s just delicious!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS GREEK SALAD RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Greek Salad Recipe
- 3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped or cut into wedges
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (see note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small jar combine all ingredients for the dressing and shake well, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all salad ingredients and gently toss. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.
- If you can find a block of feta and crumble it into larger chunks that is best. But if all you can find is crumbled feta that will work too.
- This salad is best served right away in my opinion. But I still enjoy the leftovers!