This is the BEST BBQ Chicken Marinade ever! It’s quick and easy and sure to be your favorite. This marinade produces so much flavor, is the perfect amount of sweet and tangy and keeps your grilled chicken tender, juicy and delicious! Dare we say that after using this marinade recipe you’ll never use another one again?
Disclosure: I’m sharing French’s® in my life as part of a sponsored series for Socialstars™” #FrenchsCrowd #FrenchsKetchup
Sometimes the thought of eating chicken breasts one more time is so boring! That’s why I like to make an easy marinade for our protein like this fabulous BBQ Chicken Marinade. It adds so much flavor to your chicken and it’s so easy to mix up.
I love that there is minimal dishes involved in this marinade and grilling it outside saves on them too. Plus, it’s easy to sneak in healthier foods for my family. I usually pair it with Grilled Vegetables and even throw diced sweet potatoes in there to make it a little more hearty. Or serve it with Roasted Red Potato Salad!
Why this Recipe Works:
- I bet you have the ingredients in your pantry already. It’s such an easy marinade to make at the last minute.
- You only need to marinate your chicken for two hours to pick up that delicious flavor, but can marinade up to two days.
- Guess what! It’s a freezer friendly meal. Freeze your chicken in the marinade then when you want to enjoy, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and grill the next night!
If you are looking for a delicious twist, yet an easy recipe you have to make these BBQ Chicken Breasts this summer!
What do I need to make BBQ Chicken Marinade
- Chicken Breasts – We recommend pounded these to an even thickness so they grill evenly. You could also mix it up and use drumsticks, thighs etc.
- Dried Onion Flakes – Finely diced fresh onion will work too.
- Smoked Paprika – Can use regular paprika, but the hint of smoked flavor is perfect for this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper
- Honey – Any sweetener with will work.
- Ketchup – Pick your favorite brand.
- Soy Sauce – Could substitute with Liquid Aminos.
Steps to Prepare
- Make Marinade – Mix all the ingredients, except the chicken together in a mixing bowl.
- Marinate Chicken – Place the mixed marinade in a resealable gallon bag, add chicken and seal bag, squeezing out as much as as you can. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Grill Chicken – Place chicken on a preheated and oiled grill. Grill over medium-high heat for 15 minutes, flipping half way through cooking time or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes.
Here are a few commonly asked questions about making this marinade and grilling the chicken.
If you have any additional questions make sure to leave us a comment below and we will do the best to answer you!
The internal temperature of cooked chicken should be 165 degrees F. We recommend using an instant read thermometer to monitor the temperature of your chicken. It’s easy to use and inexpensive! Make sure to insert the thermometer probe into the thickest part of the chicken breast.
Usually 2 hours is long enough for the chicken to soak up the flavor of your BBQ marinade, but you can leave your chicken in the marinade in the refrigerator for up to two days.
For best results flip the bag over while marinating or if it’s in a container flip the chicken over.
Yes! Simply place the chicken into a freezer-safe bag and pour the prepared marinade over the top of it. Toss the chicken to make sure it’s coated and then squeeze the air out of the bag. Place it in the freezer for up to three months. When you are ready to use the chicken remove from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then grill your chicken according to the directions!
Of course! Place in a baking dish and bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
What to serve with your Grilled Chicken!
- If you are hesitant to make potato salad because it’s time consuming try this easy Instant Pot Potato Salad that’s packed with as much flavor as the traditional version.
- Have fresh green beans out of the garden? Wrap them in bacon and make these delicious Green Bean Bundles!
- Make the ultimate summer dessert to pair it with. No one can ever turn down a scoop of homemade Cookie Dough Ice Cream!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts pounded to even thickness
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp Ketchup
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a shallow glass bowl combine all ingredients except chicken. Mix all together. Add chicken, stir to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Lightly oil grill and preheat to medium-high.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard remaining marinade. Grill over medium-high heat for 15 minutes each side or until juices run clear and internal temperature of chicken breast is 165 degrees F. You can also make this in a grill pan over medium high heat on your stovetop.