There’s nothing like a hot bowl of homemade Chicken Noodle Soup on a cold winter day. It’s the ultimate comfort food that’s a classic. This quick and easy version is loaded with egg noodles, chicken, vegetables and chicken broth. Warm up with a bowl today!
I love to make all kinds of comfort food during the winter and chicken noodle soup is definitely at the top of the list! My whole family loves it and it’s the best way to warm up on a cold night.
You Will Love This Recipe!
- It’s an easy soup recipe that only takes 30 minutes to make!
- It’s loaded with fresh veggies, tender egg noodles, and shredded chicken!
- I use boxed chicken broth to make it easy, but you can make it from scratch with your own homemade chicken broth.
- The noodles cook in the soup – no need for an extra pot!
- It’s perfect with some crusty bread or homemade breadsticks on the side!
This is the best chicken noodle soup! Want to use your slow cooker? Be sure to check out my crockpot recipe, too!
You will need cooked and shredded chicken for this recipe. You can keep it really simple and use rotisserie chicken or make shredded chicken in your Instant Pot or Crock-Pot. I usually make it ahead and keep it in the fridge until I’m ready to make the soup.
The noodles cook directly in the soup, which I love! It saves on dishes and it’s so much easier. The best noodles to use are egg noodles – they will be perfectly cooked when the soup is done. I haven’t tested this recipe with other kinds of pasta, so I don’t recommend making a substitution.
Like I already mentioned, you can use box broth or homemade chicken broth if that’s what you prefer!
The soup has the best seasoning from garlic powder, salt, and bay leaves. I love to add some fresh parsley for garnish to give it a pop of color and freshness!
Three Easy Cooking Steps!
Once you have your ingredients prepped it’s so easy to make the soup.
Step 1: Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or pot. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook them until the have softened. This usually takes less than ten minutes.
Step 2: Add the broth, bay leaves, garlic powder, and salt. Bring the soup to a boil and add the chicken and uncooked noodles. Bring the soup back to a boil and then adjust the heat so it’s simmering. Cook the soup for about 10 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
Step 3: Remove the bay leaves and discard them. Garnish the soup with parsley and serve!
I like to use fresh vegetables for this recipe, but you can substitute frozen ones (like carrots). They may be really soft once the soup is done since frozen veggies usually don’t need as long to cook. So just keep that in mind!
Yes, you can! The flavor will be different, but it will work fine. Whichever broth you use I recommend using low-sodium. If you use regular than you may want to omit the added salt in the recipe.
You can make part of it ahead! You can make the soup, but don’t add the noodles. The noodles will absorb the broth if they are cooked ahead in the soup, so wait to cook them until you’re ready to serve it.
Just bring the prepared soup to a boil and add the noodles. It will be done in ten minutes!
The soup will keep for a few days in the refrigerator, but the noodles will absorb the broth as the soup chills and may get a little mushy.
You can, but leave the noodles out otherwise when you reheat it they will be mushy and won’t have a great texture. You can make the rest of the soup and freeze it – then just bring it to a boil and cook the noodles in it when you’re ready to serve it.
Are ready for a cozy bowl of soup? This recipe never fails to please – your family will love it!
More Comfort Food Recipes
Be sure to add these amazing recipes to your list, too!
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole is hearty and comforting! It’s meaty and has marinara sauce and Alfredo sauce for so much flavor!
- You can’t go wrong with a classic Beef Stew on a cold night. Plus, you can make this easy recipe in your slow cooker!
- Suprised your family with my easy Meatball Subs and they will love it! They’re loaded with cheese and savory meatballs tucked into soft buns!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy dish!
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 8 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 c. cooked and shredded chicken
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 c. dry egg noodles
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large dutch oven melt butter. Stir in onion, carrot, and celery. Saute vegetables in butter for about 7 minutes or until they are tender.
- Whisk in broth. Add bay leaves, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a boil and add chicken and egg noodles. Return to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until egg noodles are al dente.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.