Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Homemade Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is an easy soup recipe that’s creamy and loaded with chicken, carrots, celery and egg noodles. The best part is it’s made in one pot! A quick, hearty and easy dinner recipe to warm up with on a cold day.
It’s no secret that chicken noodle soup is some of the perfect comfort food. I mean, a warm bowl of soup on a cold day is just the best thing. And a big bowl of creamy chicken noodle soup when you’re sick almost seems to cure me right away! I love to pair it with some tasty crackers or these delicious homemade crescent rolls.
This one pot soup recipe is so easy and makes the most comforting and tasty soup. It’s great for a quick dinner during the week, and perfect to make when you’re feeling under the weather.
There is minimal clean-up, so you can make a nutritious meal and then rest up instead of standing over the sink to wash a ton of dishes.
Why You’ll Love Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep or large families because it makes eight servings!
- You can cook this nutritious and flavorful soup in just 40 minutes.
- This homemade soup is loaded with protein and vegetables. There are so many nutrients packed into one soup!
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Boneless skinless chicken breast – Be sure to clean and trim any excess fat off of your boneless skinless chicken breast before using them in the soup.
- Low sodium chicken broth – You can use regular broth if you prefer, but I like to use low sodium so that I can control the salt content.
- Uncooked egg noodles – Egg noodles are most popularly use in chicken noodle soup recipes, but you can use any noodles you prefer!
- Carrots – Fresh carrots work best in this recipe!
- Celery stalks – Be sure to dice the celery really small so it distributes well throughout this soup.
- Yellow onion – Yellow onion is best because it has a more mild flavor.
- All-purpose flour – This helps to thicken the soup.
- Evaporated milk – Evaporated milk makes the soup creamy!
- Minced garlic – You can either mince fresh garlic cloves or use the minced garlic from the jar.
- Extra virgin olive oil – You can use avocado oil, vegetable oil, or even butter as a substitution for olive oil.
- Dried oregano – Oregano adds the perfect herby flavor to chicken noodle soup.
- Kosher salt and pepper – These two simple seasonings will provide plenty of flavor in your soup.
How to make Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat your choice of oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, sauté the carrots celery, and onion until they begin to soften. Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Then, sprinkle to the all-purpose flour over the vegetables and sauté for an additional minute.
- Pour the broth into the pot and then add the chicken breast to the soup. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then, add in the egg noodles, evaporate milk, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir until throughly combined and cook until the noodles are al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it. Add the shredded chicken back into the pot, stir well, and then serve while warm!
Instead of boneless skinless chicken breasts use two can of chunk chicken or rotisserie chicken to save time!
What should I serve with Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup?
Crackers, of course, go really well with chicken noodle soup. I love Saltines and Ritz. But I also love to make some bread to go with this easy creamy soup. These homemade biscuits or homemade rolls would pair perfectly with this cream one pot soup.
Serve this soup while hot and top each bowl with a little parmesan or mozzarella if you can a gooey cheese element!
How to Store Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
It is important to note that the egg noodles in this soup will soak up some of the broth when it’s stored. If you plan to cook this in advance for meal prep, I recommend cooking the egg noodles separately and adding them in when you reheat your soup.
However, you can store leftovers with the noodles in it! Just add a splash of milk when you reheat if you find that the soup is too thick.
FRIDGE: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
FREEZER: Leftovers will last for up to 3 months in the freezer when store in an airtight container.
What Can I Add to Soup to Make it Creamy?
This recipe calls for evaporate milk. But you can use heavy cream, half and half, yogurt, or full fat coconut milk to make a soup creamy.
How do you thicken creamy chicken soup?
The all-purpose flour should have thickened your soup plenty, but if it hasn’t, just add a bit more and stir until it has thickened.
Pro-Tips for the Best Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- If you have a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, you can use it to shred your chicken! Just place your cooked chicken in the bowl and lay a towel over the stand mixer to block any splatters. Turn on the mixer and it’ll shred the chicken in seconds!
- Serve this tasty homemade soup with egg noodles in a bread bowl.
- Feel free to add any other vegetables that you want to this soup!
This easy creamy chicken noodle soup will become a go-to recipe in your house. The kids will love and so will you!
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Another classic comfort food soup is Broccoli Cheese Soup! This recipe is so tasty.
- Instant Pot Taco Soup is such an easy and quick dinner.
- Need a hearty stew recipe? This Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe is so good!
- Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup is a great way to change up your rotation of soup recipes.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks diced
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 12 ounces evaporated milk (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large stockpot. Saute the carrots, celery, and onion until beginning to soften, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for 1 minute; stirring continually.
- Slowly stir in the broth. Add chicken to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in noodles, evaporated milk, salt, oregano and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook the soup for 10 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
- Remove chicken, shred and return to the soup. Serve warm.
Leave a Comment