This classic baked spaghetti casserole is taken over the top by adding a layer of Alfredo sauce in the noodles at the base. We also refer to this as Spasagna at our house! It’s a delicious, comforting casserole that starts with a base of Alfredo noodles then is layered with a hamburger sauce and cheese.
On of my favorite casseroles ever! It’s a twist on the normal Baked Spaghetti because it has a layer of noodles with alfredo in it that makes it over the top delicious.
We also refer to this casserole as Spasagna but since I figured most of you would raise your eyes at that we just went for the name Baked Spaghetti instead. Now, if you want to be cool like the rest of us then called it Spasagna!
This casserole is made up of two layers. It starts with spaghetti noodles that are mixed with alfredo sauce, shredded Mozzarella and seasonings. That layer is topped with a meat sauce and more cheese.
It makes a lot and is perfect to freeze half and enjoy as a freezer meal or feed a large crowd. Toss a salad together, throw some garlic bread in the oven and you have dinner!
Why this recipe works:
- Two layers – Alfredo pasta layer and a meat sauce layer topped with cheese.
- Make ahead friendly for busy weeks.
- You can make two and freeze one for later.
- Spaghetti noodles
- Garlic Alfredo sauce
- Shredded mozzarella
- Ground beef
- Spaghetti sauce
Ground Beef Alternatives
- Italian Sausage
- Ground Turkey
- Ground Chicken
- Ground Tofu
Steps to Prepare
- Prep – Preheat the oven. Coat the baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Alfredo Layer – Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions. Rinse noodles under cold water and drain well. In a large bowl, combine Alfredo sauce, 2 c. mozzarella, milk and spices. Stir well to combine. Add the cooked spaghetti noodles and toss to coat them completely. Place into the baking dish.
- Meat Sauce Layer – Brown beef and drain well. Add spaghetti sauce and mix. Pour mixture over the noodle mixture in the pan.
- Bake – Cover with aluminum foil and bake until hot and bubbly at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
Make Ahead Tips
Prepare the casserole as stated but stop before baking. Cover with aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. When you are ready to bake it remove from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature while oven preheats. Then bake for about 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze in an airtight container for up to three months.
What to serve with Spaghetti Casserole
Here are some great salad options! Traditional Seven Layer Salad • Greek Salad • Strawberry Romaine Salad any of these salads would be perfect and this bread will round out the meal! Rosemary Bread (Macaroni Grill Copycat) is a real favorite and soooo good!
More great casserole recipes to try!
- Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Spaghetti Pie
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Ham and Noodle Casserole
- 7-Layer Casserole
Winter is the perfect time to enjoy this hearty casserole! When you make it be sure and tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats. And if you have a quick moment, please comment and leave a five-star rating below!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy meal!!!
Baked Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 24 oz garlic Alfredo
- 3 c. shredded mozzarella divided
- ½ c. Milk
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 lb ground beef
- 24 oz spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions. Rinse cooked noodles under cold water and drain very well.
- In a large bowl, combine Alfredo sauce, 2 c. mozzarella, milk, oregano and parsley. Stir well to combine. Add cooked spaghetti noodles and toss to coat them completely. Place entire mixture into the baking dish.
- Brown beef, drain well to remove excess grease. Over low heat, add spaghetti sauce and mix. Pour mixture over the noodle mixture in the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove aluminium foil top with remaining cheese and bake 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Adapted from: The Country Cook