Easy Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe ~ This easy recipe for egg roll in a bowl is ready in only 25 minutes! You are going to love it because it’s healthier and such a great option for Chinese at home! Looking for a Low Carb Option? Substitute the Rice for Riced Cauliflower!
I’m always looking for ways to make more easy recipes that have a ton of flavor in them! This one is a winner in that department! I adore egg rolls but I’ll admit I’m just to lazy to make them. This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe gives me all the flavor of an egg roll but it’s way easier. Plus, it’s a main dish recipe so I love that too!
If you are looking for a low-carb version simply substitute out the rice for riced cauliflower and leave the wontons off! You’ll never even notice I promise. I have this new obsession with riced cauliflower. In fact that version is going on my menu next week. I’ve also put just a little rice in and added cauliflower to “beef” it up so you get some rice texture and the rest is cauliflower. The kids don’t even notice and neither does the husband and it sneaks their vegetables in there for them!
Ingredients Needed for Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe!
- Ground beef or chicken
- Garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Coleslaw mix
- Sesame oil
- Brown rice
- Sweet and sour sauce
- Wonton strips, optional
Grab the ingredients and head to the kitchen!
The reason I love this recipe for egg roll in a bowl is it’s simple. I need simple. I’m always looking for more ways to “simplify” my life. In fact, I just closed down my online clothing boutique because I needed to focus on my family and get my priorities straight. It had taken off but I had become more stressed and generally unhappy due to the extra pressure. After three long months of praying and evaluating the decision I decided to pull the plug.
My heart just wasn’t in it. I loved some parts of it, but the more I thought about it the cons outweighed the pros. It just wasn’t there for me.
It was bittersweet because I felt like people had came to rely on my clothing boutique in our small town because there isn’t a lot of options to shop around here, but I had to put my family first. It’s only a week into being closed but I just feel so much lighter. My passion is food blogging and I adore it. I’m so, so blessed to be able to do what I love!
Why did it take me THREE MONTHS to make that decision?
You know what didn’t take me three months to decide? The decision to make this egg roll in a bowl recipe again! I tested it during the day then hoarded the leftovers for lunches and never told my family about it! Evil aren’t I?
Tips for Making Egg Roll in a Bowl!
- I used cooked instant brown rice, but you can use white rice if you’d prefer.
- Looking for a low-carb egg roll in a bowl? Leave out the rice or substitute riced cauliflower to sneak more vegetables in!
- Love sweet & sour sauce? Drizzle a little over the top for a little more flavor!
- Add wontons for a crunch factor to make it more like an egg roll!
Do you make it a priority to simplify your life? I need to become more aware of that and not let myself get into the social media race. Every time you turn on your Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram there’s someone else posting what is going on in their life.
I admit it. I get caught up in it, but then I have to remember I don’t see everything in their life. We just never know what is going on behind closed doors.
I have an amazing husband, three healthy thriving kids and a job I love.
Really, what more can I ask for? Ok, maybe winning the lottery would be helpful!
Tools Helpful When Making this Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe!
Oh and YOU. I have amazing readers that I LOVE hearing from!
So put down the recipes that have 15 ingredients and embrace recipes like this egg roll in a bowl recipe that still has a ton of flavor but is so quick and easy. You’ll have it on the table in 25-30 minutes! I won’t tell anyone if you hoard the leftovers!
- 1 lb lean ground beef or chicken
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 14 oz coleslaw mix
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3 c. hot cooked brown rice
- 1/2 c. sweet and sour sauce
- Wonton strips optional
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook and crumble chicken or beef, onion, and garlic. Heat until no longer pink 6-8 minutes; drain off grease. Stir in soy sauce and ginger.
- Add coleslaw mix to skillet. Cook and stir until wilted, 3-4 minutes. Stir in sesame oil and rice. Mix until combined. Top with sweet and sour sauce. If desired top with wonton strips.
- If looking for a low carb option substitute riced cauliflower for rice or serve without rice.