Need a quick and easy soup? This Hamburger Soup is just that! It’s loaded with hamburger, vegetables, diced tomatoes and potatoes, plus it’s a quick and easy dinner recipe the entire family will love. If you need a meal prep, make-ahead or freezer-friendly dinner this is the recipe to make!
There are so many reasons to make this Hamburger Soup! It’s one of my favorite ways to get my kids to eat more vegetables. I don’t know if it’s the name (they love burgers!) or what, but they slurp every last drop when I make it! It’s also so easy to make – it’s not one of those simmer-for-hours soup recipes and you can have it on the table in about 45 minutes start to finish. You also make it all in one pot so – hello! – fewer dishes, which is always a very happy thing in my house! It’s super easy, veggie-packed and family-friendly!
There are a lot of Hamburger Soup recipes out there and I think you’re going to love this one. It’s basically a hearty vegetable soup with ground beef and it’s so savory, hearty and one of my favorite dishes to make when it’s cold. I love to add some homemade breadsticks on the side to soak up all of the delicious broth.
The other great thing about this recipe is that you can make a big batch ahead and keep it in the refrigerator or freezer for easy lunches and dinners. So, if you like to meal prep I think you’re going to love it! Do you love your slow cooker? You might like my crockpot vegetable beef soup, too!
What is Hamburger Soup?
It’s a simple but flavorful tomato-based vegetable soup with savory ground beef. It’s loaded with veggies like onion, carrots, celery, green beans, corn and potatoes and has a few other basic pantry ingredients like tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. I grew up eating it and now I love making it for my family. They love it! It’s an easy one-pot recipe that takes less than an hour to make.
The ingredient list might look long, but it’s very easy to prep and cook! You only need about 15 minutes of prep time and the rest of the time is hands-off while it simmers away on the stove.
- Olive oil
- Extra-lean ground beef
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Low-sodium beef broth
- Russet potatoes
- Frozen corn
- Frozen green beans
- Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
How to Make it in Three Easy Steps!
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook them in the oil until they’ve softened.
- Add the garlic and cook it with the other ingredients for about a minute. Add the ground beef and break it up while it cooks. Once it’s browned, drain off any excess grease from the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer it for 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
The added bonus is the aroma while it simmers! Is there anything better than the scent of something cozy and savory bubbling away on the stove? While it’s cooking all you have to do is give it a stir every so often. I’m telling you, this soup is so low maintenance!
Can I use ground turkey instead of beef?
Yes! Feel free to substitute ground turkey in this recipe. Whether you use ground turkey or beef you want to make sure the meat is very lean so you don’t end up with a lot of fat in the broth.
Can I make it ahead?
Yes, you can make it ahead! This is a great recipe for meal prepping because it keeps well in the refrigerator for up to three days. Or, you can freeze it for up to three months! Just be sure to store the soup in an airtight container. I like to thaw it in the refrigerator and then reheat it on the stove or in the microwave when I’m ready to serve it.
I hope you love this cozy Hamburger Soup! It’s one of my family’s favorite dinners – we make it on repeat all winter long! Want more easy recipes? Here are some more great ones to try!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- If you love sloppy joes you have to try my sloppy joe casserole. It’s so easy to make!
- My crockpot spaghetti is an easy way to have a spaghetti dinner. Everything cooks in the slow cooker including the pasta!
- When it’s cold we love to make a hearty chili! It will warm you up!
- Sheet pan mini meatloaf is so easy you can make it on a busy weeknight! It’s a complete dinner with veggies, too.
- Stuffed Pepper Soup has all the flavors of classic stuffed bell peppers but served up as a soup instead!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS HAMBURGER SOUP RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 c. low-sodium beef broth
- 2 large Russet potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ c. frozen corn
- ½ c. frozen green beans
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot add olive oil, onion, celery and carrots. Sauted for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in garlic and saute for 1 minute, followed be ground beef. Cook until the beef has browned for about 5 minutes. Drain off any extra grease.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Increase heat and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat so it simmers and cook 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Leave a Comment