A quick and easy soup that combines peppers, hamburger, tomatoes, rice and seasonings to taste just like your favorite stuffed peppers! If you are craving a big bowl of soup to warm up with the flavors from Stuffed Pepper Soup will leave you satisfied, plus it makes great leftovers for lunches.
I have the coziest soup recipes for you today! Stuffed pepper soup has everything you love about stuffed peppers like ground beef, seasonings, rice and bell peppers. It’s so good!
If you love to make a big batch of hearty soup on the weekends this is the recipe for you. It tastes just like stuffed bell peppers but served up as a cozy soup instead.
You Will Love This Bell Pepper Soup Recipe
- It tastes just like stuffed peppers but in soup form!
- This is a hearty beef pepper soup and is filling and so satisfying! We love it with some homemade breadsticks on the side for soaking up the delicious broth.
- You can make it ahead for easy lunches and dinners during the week. Be sure to check out my tips at the end of the post!
- It’s not hard to make and will fill your house with the best aroma as it simmers. It’s perfect for a chilly day.
Notes about the Ingredients
Bell Peppers and Beef: The stars of this recipe are ground beef and peppers. I like to use lean ground beef so the soup is not greasy. You just need two cups of chopped bells peppers and you can use any combination of bell peppers you want. You can make stuffed green pepper soup and go all green or do a mix of colors. It’s up to you!
Seasonings: The broth has so much flavor from onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. There’s also some brown sugar to add just a touch of sweetness.
Broth: You will need beef broth as the base for the broth. You will also need canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. The diced tomatoes will break down as they cook, flavoring the broth and giving it some texture. The tomato sauce thickens it a bit, too.
Rice: For this recipe, you will add cooked rice at the end. You can use either brown rice or white rice, the choice is yours!
How to Make It
Brown the Beef: Cook the hamburger in oil and salt and pepper until it’s almost cooked through.
Cook the Veggies: Add the onions and peppers and cook them with the beef until they’ve softened.
Add all the Rest: Add the sugar, Italian seasonings, and garlic. Stir a few times and then add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and broth and give it all a good stir to combine.
Simmer: Bring the soup to a boil and then lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer it for an hour. This will allow all of the flavors to mix and meld together.
Add the Rice and Serve! When the soup is done, add the rice, stir, and serve.
If you want to make this stuffed pepper soup ahead (or if you plan to save leftovers) wait to add the rice until you serve it. If you add the rice and then store the soup for later, the rice will absorb the broth.
You can also freeze the soup! Let it cool and then store it in freezer-safe containers (without the rice). It will keep for a few months.
To mix up the flavors use a combination of sweet peppers (like red or yellow) with less sweet green peppers.
You can also switch up the kind of rice you use – white, brown, jasmine, basmati are all good choices! You could also use wild rice, but it takes a lot longer to cook than other types.
Your family will love digging into this hearty stuffed pepper soup for dinner! It’s especially good after a chilly day – there’s no better way to warm up than with a delicious homemade soup. Want even more ideas? Be sure to check out more of my favorite soup recipes!
More Hearty Soup Recipes to Try!
- Wild Rice Soup is loaded with chicken, wild rice, and vegetables in a creamy broth. Perfect with bread on the side!
- Skip the complicated lasagna recipes and make a batch of my Lasagna Soup! It tastes just like the pasta dish but turned into an easy soup recipe.
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup is perfect for potlucks and entertaining during the colder months!
Don’t forget, comment below and let me know how much you love this meal! Post a picture on Instagram and be sure to tag me so I can see it too! I’m loving all of your delicious foodie pics! You can find me at @julieseatsandtreats or just #julieseatsandtreats -if you hashtag me, I’ll get to see it that way too!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small diced – yellow or white, about 1 cup
- 1 large green bell pepper cleaned and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper cleaned and chopped
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 28 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 c. beef broth
- 2 c. cooked rice white or brown
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large pot. Add ground beef, salt, and pepper and cooked until almost done.
- Add diced onion and cook until soft. Add peppers and cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, Italian seasoning, and garlic, continue stirring and cook 1 minute. Then add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beef broth, stir until well combined
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for 45-60 minutes or until heated through and flavors have had a chance to blend well.
- Stir in cooked rice and serve immediately.