Puppy Chow, or Muddy Buddies, is a classic recipe from childhood! I can never stop munching on this dangerous combination. What’s not to love about chocolate, peanut butter, Chex and powdered sugar? This combination is always a hit at holidays and parties!
Addictive Puppy Chow!
Oh, how l loved Puppy Chow growing up! The addictive combo of chocolate and peanut butter coated cereal dusted with powdered sugar was one I couldn’t resist. Puppy Chow is one of those recipes that just brings up so many memories when I make now for my family. It’s a sweet and crunchy treat that’s perfect for parties and holidays.
There are lots of Puppy Chow recipes (also known as Muddy Buddies!) out there and I’ve made a few variations myself like Cake Batter Puppy Chow, but it’s this classic Puppy Chow recipe I’m sharing today that I really love. It’s just like the version I loved as a kid. We make it a lot during the holidays, but it’s great all year round! My kids go crazy for it and it’s an easy snack to make for all kinds of occasions like potlucks, game-day get-togethers and parties with the kids. Puppy Chow is great all on its own, but I love to serve it alongside other snacks, too, like Ranch Pretzels and White Chocolate Puff Corn for a mix of salty-sweet flavors.
What do I need to make Puppy Chow?
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious Puppy Chow recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- crispy rice cereal squares
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- peanut butter
- vanilla extract
- confectioner’s sugar
How do I make Puppy Chow?
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate with the butter. You can do this on the stove in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the peanut butter and stir until smooth. Or, you can melt the chocolate, peanut butter and butter together in a bowl in the microwave. Microwave it for 1 minute, stir, and then cook it for another 30 seconds or until you can stir it and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the vanilla to the chocolate mixture and stir. Pour the mixture over the cereal and stir until the cereal is evenly coated. Transfer the coated cereal to a 2-gallon resealable food storage bag. Add the sugar to the bag, seal the bag, and then shake it to coat the cereal evenly with the sugar.
- Spread the sugar-coated cereal in an even layer on a sheet of wax paper to cool. Store the Puppy Chow in an airtight container.
Why is Puppy Chow called Puppy Chow?
It’s a funny name, but Puppy Chow is called Puppy Chow because it resembles dry dog food! I know, it’s weird, but don’t let that freak you out because this is a dangerously delicious snack! Despite its name, it’s definitely not a dog-friendly treat – it’s for people only!
What does Puppy Chow mean?
Puppy Chow is also known as Muddy Buddies, but here in the midwest, we’ve always called it Puppy Chow. I’ve also heard it called Reindeer Chow because a lot of people make it during the holidays. Whatever it’s called it’s generally made with the same ingredients – chocolate, peanut butter, crispy rice cereal squares, and confectioner’s sugar.
Is it Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies?
I guess it depends on where you’re from! Here in Minnesota, we call it Puppy Chow, but I’ve seen other recipes that are called Muddy Buddies. Both are made with the same ingredients and there really isn’t a difference between the two.
Does Puppy Chow need to be refrigerated?
You can store Puppy Chow at room temperature for a few days, but you can also refrigerate it and it will last for up to a week.
Can you freeze Puppy Chow?
Yes, you can freeze it! Store it in an airtight container and pop it in the freezer. You can leave it out at room temperature to thaw it, but I know people who actually like it straight from the freezer!
Bring on the Puppy Chow! This is such a fun recipe to make – I know you’ll love it! Looking for more snacks to try? Here are some more of our favorite recipes!
More Snack Recipes!
- Microwave Caramel Corn
- The Best Chex Mix!
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Pretzels
- Monster Munch Halloween Snack Mix
- Ranch Snack Mix
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!! ? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
Puppy Chow Recipe
- 9 c. crispy rice cereal squares
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl add cereal and set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter; add peanut butter and mix until smooth or in a microwavable bowl add chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave uncovered on high 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir vanilla extract into chocolate mixture. Pour over cereal in bowl. Stirring until evenly coated. Pour into a 2-gallon resealable food storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar into large plastic bag and shake until well coated.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container.