The perfect Christmas Snack mix to munch on thorough the holidays. Reindeer Chow is a delicious mix of chocolate muddy buddies, holiday M&Ms and peanut butter cups. It’s so easy to make and makes a great edible gift idea.
The holiday season is upon us, and so is baking season! That means I am throwing together all of my favorite holiday recipes and creating new ones. My favorite sweet treats to gift are typically recipes like this adorable reindeer chow. I love to toss it into some cutie Christmas tins and hand it out to friends and family.
Muddy buddies, also called puppy chow, are super popular around the holiday season. So I figured why not turn it into a festive treat! If you’re a fan of chocolate and peanut butter, then you’ll definitely love this reindeer chow holiday treat. And be sure to try peanut butter blossoms too! One can never have too many fun Christmas treats.
Why You’ll Love this Reindeer Chow Recipe
- This is a no-bake recipe that keeps your oven free to make all of your favorite Christmas cookies. Since an oven is typically used to capacity around the holidays, having a few no-bake recipes to fall back on is essential.
- One batch of reindeer chow makes 12 servings. Great for a party and fabulous for a sweet treat gift to hand out.
- You can easily adapt this simple recipe and add or substitute anything you want. It’s so fun to make recipe extra special with your own touch1
Ingredients for Reindeer Chow
- Rice cereal – Use rice chex as the base for this yummy reindeer chow recipe.
- Confectioners’ sugar – Confectioners’ sugar is the easiest way to sweeten this Christmas muddy buddies recipe.
- Mini peanut butter cups – Mini reese’s cups can be added after the cereal is cooled. They add a different texture to the mix and pair well with the peanut butter and chocolate that is in the reindeer chow coating.
- Peanut butter – Use creamy peanut butter to make a coating for this sweet snack mix.
- Butter – Butter will thin the peanut butter chocolate coating so that it easily coats the rice chex cereal.
- Vanilla extract – A little splash of pure vanilla extract gives depth of flavor to this sweet Christmas snack mix.
- Chocolate chips – Feel free to use any type of chocolate that you want. Semi-sweet is most often used, but milk chocolate and dark chocolate also work wonderfully!
- Red and green M&M’s – The key to making this snack mix look festive for the holidays is to add red and green M&M’s to the mix!
How to Make Reindeer Chow
- To begin, pour the rice Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl and set it to the side.
- Then add the chocolate chips and butter to a saucepan over medium heat and melt. Scoop peanut butter into the pan and mix together until everything is combined, melted and smooth.
- Alternatively, you can add the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter to a microwave-safe bowl microwave for one minute, then stir. If not fully melted, microwave for 30 more second until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir vanilla extract into the melted chocolate, then pour it over the cereal mixture that is in the large bowl. Stir with a silicone spatula until evenly coated.
- Then pour the coated cereal into a 2-gallon plastic bag, add powdered sugar, and shake until coated.
- Spread the mixture onto waxed paper on a baking sheet and cool completely.
- Once cool, add M&M’s and peanut butter cups and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for later.
How to Store Reindeer Chow
Place this easy snack mix into airtight containers. Store at room temperature for about a week, or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You may be able to freeze it too, just be careful with the temperature changes or the cereal could get soggy!
What can I add to this reindeer chow recipe?
While I think this recipe is just delicious as is, there are many different things you can add to muddy buddies. Popcorn or caramel corn adds an extra crunch to the mix! You can also add nuts like peanuts or pecans to kick the nutty flavor up a notch.
Want more chocolate? Just add some extra candies or even some chocolate chips. Peanut butter chips are tasty too.
For a salty addition, use some pretzel twists or pretzel sticks!
Can I use a different nut butter?
If you have a peanut allergy, you can use almond butter, cashew butter or sunflower butter. Keep in mind that natural nut butters will have a lot of oil separation and need to mixed together well before being used in this recipe.
Pro Tips for the Best Reindeer Chow Recipe
- Using a silicone spatula to mix the coated cereal is a must. It will help keep the cereal from breaking.
- Make sure you spread the cereal out into a single layer when waiting for the chocolate to harden. Break up any clumps, or there could be wet chocolate in the middle.
- If you add extras to your reindeer chow, just be sure it is a good ratio of cereal to add-ins. You can always make some more cereal to mix in with your snack mix!
This reindeer chow recipe is not only kid-friendly, but adults love it too! Christmas puppy chow recipe is truly made for the holidays.
More Snack Mix Recipes You’ll Love
- Fall Snack Mix is the best thing for the chilly fall months. Add candy corn and other fun treats into this mix of salty sweet delight!
- This simple Snack Mix is great for any occasion and any time of the year.
- If you’re a fan of flavorful snacks, this Taco Chex Mix is a favorite to make.
- Make the Best Chex Mix with this super simple recipe. Skip the store bought stuff!
- 9 cups crispy rice cereal squares
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup red and green M&Ms
- 1 cup mini peanut butter cups
- In a large bowl add cereal and set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter; add peanut butter and mix until smooth or in a microwavable bowl add chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir vanilla extract into chocolate mixture. Pour over cereal in a bowl. Stirring until evenly coated. Pour into a 2-gallon resealable food storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar into a large plastic bag and shake until well coated.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool completely. After it is completely cooled add in M&Ms and peanut butter cups, gently stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container.