Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa Bake
This Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa Bake takes only 10 minutes of prep work and is made with quinoa and all your favorite Mexican ingredients for a thick, filling and delicious slow cooker weeknight meal!
Getting a slow cooker was one of the best decisions I made last year; when I had only 10 minutes to make a meal in the morning, I could easily pop it into this amazing device and come home 8 hours later after work to a deliciously home cooked meal. I also loved the variety that the slow cooker provided; if I was popping in for lunch I could set the meal to cook for 4 hours, or even less if I was heading out for an hour or so and wanted to come back home to a delicious meal simmering away for a few hours. The latter scenario is what inspired my need to create today’s dish – a slow cooker Mexican quinoa bake that would take only 10 minutes of prep work but 2 ½ hours later (on the high setting) I could dive into a delicious thick, flavorful and best of all, quinoa filled bake.
This quinoa bake is much like a chili and made with similar ingredients of your favorite enchilada, taco or other Mexican dish; tomatoes, black beans, corn, bell peppers and cumin to name a few of these ingredients. I love that this dish can be easily customised by you if you wish (maybe you want to decrease any spice for if you’re serving this to children, or increase it if you’re not!) and also that it comes together so quickly. Throw everything in the crockpot, stir, and turn it on; that’s it. When it’s finished, you can top it with a combination of delicious shredded Mexican cheese and leave it on for a few extra minutes so it can beautifully melt into the quinoa bake and your meal is finished. It makes about 8-10 filling servings and will be loved by the entire family for sure! Feel free to serve with some tortilla chips for a fun twist or to wrap it all in a burrito for a meal on the go
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa Bake
- 2¼ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 15 ounces can black beans
- 15 ounces can corn kernels
- 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Add the broth, quinoa, and tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Add all the other ingredients except the cheese and stir a few times to combine.
- Set the slow cooker to high for 2 ½ to 3 hours (different models of slow cookers cook for different lengths of time). I set mine for 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Check to see that all the ingredients are set together and that the quinoa bake is very thick. Add the cup of shredded cheese on top and turn the slow cooker back on high for a remaining 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve by spooning into bowls and enjoy.
Connect with Jessica Here!
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest ~ Google + ~ Instagram
More quinoa posts like this:
Leave a Comment