Only three simple ingredients in this delicious Whipped Hot Chocolate! Mix up your hot chocolate recipe by making this easy and delicious whipped version. Plus, it only takes a few minutes to make!
We are taking hot chocolate to a whole new level today with this whipped hot chocolate recipe! If you haven’t tried it before, you are going to love it. It’s super fun to make and looks like a really fancy drink you might get at a coffee shop.
If you haven’t heard of it, maybe you’ve heard of dalgona coffee? It’s a whipped coffee drink that’s been really trendy this year, and this hot cocoa drink is made the same way – except instead of coffee, it has a pillowy soft scoop of whipped hot chocolate on top of warm milk.
Sounds fun, right? It’s a great way to put a spin on a mug of hot chocolate. My kids LOVE it and now ask for the fluffy hot chocolate!
You Will Love This Easy Recipe
You only need three ingredients to make whipped hot cocoa! Unlike other recipes with unsweetened cocoa powder, this one is made with hot chocolate mix, so it’s easier to make and tastes just like hot cocoa.
You can serve it plain or dress it up with garnishes!
It doesn’t take long to make – you can warm the milk while you whip the cocoa mix, and then it’s ready to serve.
- Dry hot chocolate mix – you can use store-bought or homemade hot chocolate mix.
- Heavy cream – there’s no substitute for this! You need it to make the drink light and fluffy.
- Milk – regular milk or chocolate milk works, too.
How to Make It
Whip: It’s as easy as making whipped cream! Just whip the cream with the cocoa mix until the mixture it’s thick and holds peaks.
Warm: Heat the milk in a saucepan until it’s warm. You can also warm it in the microwave in a bowl or container.
Serve: Pour the warm milk into a glass and then top it with the whipped hot chocolate.
Dress It Up with Toppings!
It’s great plain, but who doesn’t love some fun drink garnishes? Here are some of my favorite ways to dress it up:
- Top it with mini marshmallows. When you stir the drink, they’ll melt into the warm milk.
- Add some sprinkles for decoration.
- Garnish the whipped cream with chocolate shavings. Or, sprinkle some unsweetened cocoa powder over the top.
- Mini chocolate chips are great, too.
- Sprinkle some pumpkin spice over the top for a fall-twist!
Adding the garnishes is a fun way to serve it for a party – you can make a little topping bar and let everyone choose their own!
Can you use unsweetened cocoa powder instead?
If you don’t have a mix, you can use unsweetened cocoa powder, but you will need to add some granulated sugar to sweeten it up. Just add the sugar when you make the whipped cream.
Can you make the whipped part ahead of time?
I haven’t tested making it in advance, so I can’t say for sure! Regular whipped cream usually keeps well for 24 hours in the refrigerator, but it can break and release moisture. I’m not sure how it would keep mixed with the cocoa mix, so if you try it let me know how it worked for you!
Are you ready to get cozy with some whipped hot chocolate? It’s such a fun way to put a spin on a classic winter drink – everyone will love it!
More Warm Drink Recipes
I love a hot drink when it’s cold outside – here are a few more you should try!
- I know I’m in the holiday spirit when I start making Christmas Coffee! This recipe is an easy way to give your regular cup of coffee a holiday spice upgrade.
- Want to warm up and make your house smell amazing? Make a batch of Apple Cider – it’s so good!
- Irish Coffee is a great after-dinner drink with a boozy kick. It will warm you up on a cold night!
- Pumpkin Hot Chocolate is a fall-twist on hot cocoa. It’s made with pumpkin puree and fall spices for a cozy sweet drink.
- Wow your friends and family with Homemade Hot Cocoa Bombs! This is a fun way to enjoy a mug of hot chocolate.
Tried this recipe? Be sure to comment below, I definitely want to hear from you!!!
And if you’re like me and snap photos be sure to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your yummy treat!!!
Whipped Hot Chocolate
- 2 Tbsp dry hot chocolate mix
- 5 Tbsp heavy cream
- 3 c. milk white or chocolate
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Chocolate Shavings
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer mix together the hot chocolate mix and heavy cream until stiff and creamy.
- Heat milk in a saucepan or in a microwave safe container.
- Pour into glass then top with whipped hot chocolate.
- Garnish as desired with mini marshmallows, sprinkles etc.