If you are looking for an easy and delicious White Queso Dip recipe this is the one you want to use. Smooth, creamy white cheese dip ready for your tortilla chips. Learn how to make this easy cheese dip from scratch!
Oh how I love a big bowl of queso! Dipping some crispy chips into a big bowl of melty cheese is the ultimate comfort food. This white queso dip is extra rich, creamy and loaded with so much flavor. With just five real food ingredients, this dip is super simple to make and perfect for any occasion. Dare I say even better than you favorite Mexican restaurants queso?
We love to fill game-days and parties in our home with plenty of delicious appetizers. So whether it’s regular queso dip or white queso, there’s always something warm and cheesy on the food table! This easy recipe is far better than a jar of store-bought queso and it’s incredibly simple to make. A win win!
Why You’ll Love this White Queso Dip
- It only takes 15 minutes to make homemade white queso. This way, you can add it at the last minute to any party as long as you have the ingredients!
- This recipe has the perfect balance of flavor and spice. There’s not too much kick but the green chiles and pepper jack keep the dip from being bland.
- You can easily store leftover dip to reheat later. It reheats super well, so feel free to make it ahead of time for the parties you’re planning!
ingredients for White Queso Dip Recipe
- Pepper jack cheese – This is the secret ingredient for the best white queso dip recipe. Pepper jack cheese adds a little bit of spice and adds tons of flavor.
- White American cheese – Use white American cheese to make this easy white queso dip extra creamy.
- Chopped green chiles – While chopped green chiles add a little bit of spice, they also give this white queso a good bit of flavor!
- Half and half – Thin out the dip to a dip-able consistency with a bit of half and half. You can also use whole milk if that’s what you have on hand.
- Garlic powder – A little garlic powder is the perfect finishing touch for this recipe.
How to Make White Queso Dip
- Add cubed cheese and half and half to a medium sized saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring continuously for 8-10 minutes so that the cheese does not stick or burn.
- Once all of the cheese is fully melted, stir in the green chilies and garlic powder until well combined.
- When the white queso dip is all mixed together and combined, remove it from heat and pour into a serving bowl.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips and enjoy!
How to Keep White Queso Warm for Serving
Queso will harden as it cools so if you want to serve it at a party and keep it warm I recommend putting it in a small crock pot and setting it to low.
This will help keep it hot, smooth and creamy during the party, just make sure to stir it every once in a while!
How to Store Leftover White Queso Dip
Transfer leftover homemade white queso into an airtight container and store in the fridge for 4-5 days. Cheese dip typically doesn’t have the best track record for freezing well. It often separates and becomes grainy when you reheat it after being frozen. So I recommend just keeping your leftovers in the fridge and eating them soon!
How to Reheat Leftover White Cheese Dip
To heat make sure it’s in a microwave-safe dish, add a splash of milk to the dip and then heat in the microwave in 15-30 second intervals, stirring between each one until it’s fully heated through.
To reheat on the stovetop add cheese dip to saucepan with a splash of milk, heat on low stirring frequently until warmed through.
What to Serve with this White Queso Recipe
Of course this dip goes well with any and all of your favorite crispy tortilla chips, but there’s tons of other things that it’s perfect for too! You can dip soft pretzels, bread, and bread sticks into this yummy dip too. Drizzle it over crispy french fries or take a plate of nachos to the next level with queso too!
What can I use in place of green chiles?
If you are unable to find plain green chiles, you could use diced tomatoes with green chiles instead. Some finely diced jalapeños would also be super tasty and would add more heat than the green chiles would.
Why is my white queso dip grainy?
When cheese dip becomes gritty or grainy, it is likely because you overheated the cheese. It is important to continuously stir the cheese dip while the cheese melts and not to use anything higher than a medium heat. Never let the cheese dip boil!
Pro Tips for the Best White Queso Dip
- Add some kick to the this dip with hot sauce, cayenne pepper, or jalapeño peppers!
- Serve your white queso dip while it is still hot. It will become a little more difficult to dip when it begins to cool off, so feel free to reheat it a bit.
- You can keep your dip warm at a party by transferring it to a crock pot and keeping it on the warm setting. Just don’t let it get too warm though or it could scald.
- Add in some finely diced jalapenos for an extra kick!
This Mexican cheese dip is just the best! With only simple ingredients and a few minutes of your time, you can make these most delicious appetizer. So simple and so tasty!
More Dip Recipes You’ll Love!
- This super creamy Hot Spinach Dip is another game day favorite and classic recipe that is great to add to the list of appetizer favorites.
- Caramelized Onion Dip has so much depth of flavor. This super simple recipe is always a crowd hit at all of our parties and gatherings.
- Million Dollar Dip truly lives up to its name! It tastes like a million bucks and every single bite is mouthwateringly good.
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Dip is the best addition for crunchy and crispy pretzel sticks. A great snack that is fabulous for any occasion.
- 4 ounces white American cheese
- 12 ounces pepper jack cheese cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4.5 ounces chopped green chiles drained
- 1 ¼ cup half and half
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Serve with tortilla chips
- In a medium saucepan add the cheese and half and half. Cook over medium heat stirring continuously for about 8-10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted, making sure it does not boil.
- Once the cheese is melted add in the green chilis and garlic powder, stir to combine.
- Once it is combined, remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.