If you need a quick an easy appetizer, casual side dish or a delicious game day snack these Loaded Tater Tots are calling your name! Crispy Tater Tots smothered in homemade queso, bacon, sour cream and green onions. No one can resist these!
Well, no one I know can resist them – I mean, we’re talking crispy hot tots topped with the best creamy cheese sauce. Whenever I make these loaded tots the family is so happy – we love them as a side dish with baked chicken! Trust me, everyone cleans their plates whenever I make these loaded tater tots.
Why these Loaded Tater Tots With Queso Work!
- Yes, we’re making homemade queso for this recipe and you will love how easy it is! It’s creamy and cheesy – the best topping for tots.
- And everything else about this recipe is so good – crispy bacon, sliced green onions, drizzled sour cream… yum! They take plain old tots to a whole new level.
- You can serve these loaded tater tots as a side dish, appetizer, or snack! They’re so easy and so delicious – you’re going to love them!
- Frozen tater tots – you can use plain tots or seasoned ones.
- Bacon – once it’s cooked and crispy you sprinkle it over the top for a salty, crunchy topping.
- Sour cream – You can drop spoonfuls on the hot tots or use a squeeze bottle to drizzle it over the top.
- Green onions – slice them and sprinkle them over the tots for a pop of color and flavor.
- Unsalted butter and flour – these two are combined to thicken the queso.
- Milk – I like to use 2% milk for the queso, but you can use whole milk if you prefer. Or, try half and half for a richer cheese sauce.
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese – I like sharp cheese for the best cheese sauce flavor.
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper for a kick of heat!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s easy to swap ingredients with what you have on hand!
Tots: I love good old-fashioned potato tots, but you can use veggie tots, too, like cauliflower tots or broccoli tots. Just make sure they’re good and crispy!
Onions: Instead of green onions, try diced red onion or white onion. Or swap onions for diced jalapeno.
Cheese: Cheddar cheese is great for the sauce but you can use pepper jack cheese, too!
How to Make the Best Loaded Tots
This recipe is easy and it’s all about timing – so, following the steps in the right order will get you the best loaded tater tots ever!
Bake: First, preheat your oven and then bake the tater tots following the package instructions. Or, if you have an air fryer, you can air fry tater tots!
Bacon: Get the bacon going in the skillet. While it cooks, you can start the cheese sauce.
Cheese sauce (queso): Melt the butter in the saucepan and add the flour. Stir to form a paste. Add the milk and then whisk until smooth.
Once it’s thickened, take the pan off the heat and stir in the cheese a little at a time. Add the spices and stir until the queso is smooth.
Assemble: Once the cheese sauce is done, you can load up the tater tots! Top them with the cheese sauce, drizzle the sour cream over the top, and add the bacon, and green onion garnish. That’s it!
A Few More Tips!
How to serve them for a party: Set up a tater tot bar so all of your guests can help themselves. Place all of the components in separate bowls so everyone can load them up they way they want.
Sheet-pan style: You can also dress up the tots right on the sheet pan and serve them like nachos!
Short on time? If you’re in a rush, you can skip the queso and just sprinkle the shredded cheese over the tots when they’re almost done baking in the oven. It’s good, but not gonna lie – the cheese sauce is so amazing and worth the extra few minutes it takes to make it.
Are loaded tots the same as totchos?
Pretty much! They’re both hot and crispy tater tots garnished with delicious toppings similar to nachos. Totchos often have taco meat on them too, which you can totally add to these.
Can you reheat them?
I think loaded tater tots are best when they’re made. You can store the leftovers in the refrigerator for a few days and reheat them the microwave, but the tots won’t be as crispy.
If your family loves tots, surprise them with these loaded tater tots! That creamy queso really takes them over the top – I know they’ll be a hit!
More Ways to Use Tater Tots
We love tots morning, noon, and night! Here are a few other ways to use them to make delicious recipes:
- Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is a hearty and comforting dinner you can make in your crock pot!
- My Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is one of my favorite dishes to serve for a weekend breakfast or brunch!
- Or, try my Crock Pot Egg Bake that’s loaded with tots and so easy to make.
- 32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- sour cream and green onions for serving
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk I used 2%
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- Bake tater tots according to package directions on a sheet pan.
- While tater tots are baking, cook bacon slices to desired crispness. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate. Allow to cool and then crumble.
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat melt the butter. When the butter is completely melted add the flour and cook for 1 minute or until slightly golden, whisking to combine.
- Next, slowly add the milk and whisk to thicken. Cook for about 4 minutes until thickened.
- Remove the pot with the milk mixture from the heat. Add the grated cheese about a ¼ cup at a time stir with a wooden spoon to combine. When all the cheese has been incorporated add the spices. Taste the sauce and adjust the spices to your taste.
Assemble Loaded Tater Tots
- Assemble your tater tots on a plate and pile on your toppings. Start with the cheese, bacon, sour cream, and then the green onions, and enjoy immediately!