Whole Chicken and Rice in the Slow Cooker Flavored with Onions and Spices! This Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Dinner is a win! You can’t Go Wrong with this Meal in the Crock Pot!
Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
This Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Dinner is both effective in the summer, and one that will provide great sustenance during the school year. You really can’t go wrong with it. The end result is a juicy whole chicken perfectly seasoned and slow cooked along with cheesy rice. For me this crock pot chicken and rice is a comfort food that my entire family loves and I do too because it’s so easy!
As you know I adore using my crock pot to prepare meals for me. It’s kind of the staple of my life. We also love making Bacon Cheeseburger Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole, Crock Pot Chili and Crock Pot Hamburger Wild Rice Casserole! Seriously, my kind inhale that last one!
(Look at those juices!)
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
I am talking about whole chicken and rice in the slow cooker. Yes, rice can be cooked in the slow cooker and it yields great results!
I lived off instant rice growing up and have graduated to standard rice types, but it is nice when a meal utilizes that quick-cooking advantage.
Even in my rice cooker, plain white rice can take around 40 minutes to cook. I knew that with this whole chicken and rice in the slow cooker I would need to revisit my childhood love and throw it into this meal. Nothing wrong with instant rice!
I bet you won’t even notice the difference in the end.
Whole Chicken Recipe
Whole chickens have been a favorite of mine recently to cook in the slow cooker because they are constantly on sale. It doesn’t make sense to buy boneless skinless chicken breasts when you can cook a whole chicken for under $6.
Not only that, but whole chickens give diversity. When I did eat meat, I preferred the breast pieces, but my husband and mother both prefer dark meat.
A whole chicken can really bring a family together, especially if people are diverse in their chicken meat preferences!
With both the humid temperatures and back to school upon us, this whole chicken and rice in the slow cooker really utilizes your time. Basically no prep, and once everything is combined, you are hands-free.
You can easily add more veggies to your rice, but we kept it simple here with onions. 99% of the time, when my chicken is finished in the slow cooker, I will put it under the broiler in the oven. You don’t have to but this gives the chicken a nice, crispy skin (something that does not happen in the slow cooker on its own.)
Tips for Making Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- Use Instant Rice. Like I said I have grown up and use long grain rice most of the time, but with this recipe I went back to instant rice. You will need to use this for the correct cooking times. You can use instant brown rice, but that’s as much as you want to change up things!
- Broil at the End. If you want to achieve a crisp chicken skin you will want to remove the whole chicken from the crock pot at the end of the cooking time and pop it under the broiler. The crock pot will not give you a crisp skin. Totally optional.
- Add More Vegetables. I stuck to onions with my rice but you can easy add carrots, peas, celery etc. to beef up your vegetable intake!
How to Make Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
First step is to combine all the sauce and rice ingredients in your slow cooker.
Next you’ll want to place your whole chicken on top of the sauce and rice and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne and oregano.
Throw the cover on your crock pot and turn it to low for 4-5 hours or until chicken reaches 160 degrees F. I highly recommend this crock pot with a temperature probe so you will know exactly when the chicken gets to 160 degrees F.
If you want a crispy skin remove the chicken from the crock pot and place onto a pan. Throw it under the broiler in your oven for a few minutes until the skin is chicken!
If you want to try another easy Slow Cooker Meal be sure and check out this recipe Balsamic Crock Pot Roast!!
Love your meal? Me too! Be sure to snap photos of your bowl and tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your photo!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS CROCK POT WHOLE CHICKEN AND RICE DINNER RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 whole chicken, any inside parts removed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- Salt and Pepper
Sauce and Rice:
- 2 (10 oz each) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 oz) can condensed cream of cheddar soup (or another can of cream of chicken soup)
- 2 c. instant rice
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- Combine all the sauce and rice ingredients into a 6-quart slow cooker. Mix until combined. Place whole chicken on top and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until chicken reaches 160F.
- If desired, move chicken to an over safe pan and broil chicken until skin is nice and crispy.