Apple Pie with Crumb Topping is a deliciously sweet apple pie recipe. I love the oat crumb topping and the caramel ice cream topping. A flaky pie crust filled with cinnamon apple filling and topped with your favorite crumb topping makes this the BEST Apple Pie ever. Don’t forget the ice cream on top!
The BEST Apple Pie with Crumb Topping!
If you’ve never had an apple pie with a crumb topping you are in for a treat today! Instead of a flaky pastry crust on top of the pie, this apple pie has a buttery sweet topping that I like to top with a rich butterscotch caramel sauce after the pie is baked. Top it with ice cream and you get an irresistible dessert!
This pie has the best of both worlds! It bakes in a flaky pie crust, but you also get that sweet crumb topping and it’s seriously my favorite kind of apple pie to make. First, it smells amazing while it bakes – don’t you just love the scent of baked apples? It just reminds me of cool fall days and being cozy with my family! When you serve it you get all the baked apples in between that flaky crust and that addictive oat crumb topping. Another family favorite of ours is this easy Apple Crisp!
Do I need to make homemade pie crust for this Apple Pie?
If you’re worried I’m going say you have to make a pie crust from scratch, you’re in for even more of a treat. You guys know I don’t have all the time in the world to make pie dough from scratch! So, I am perfectly happy to use store-bought pie dough for this apple pie recipe. I recommend this Pillsbury Pie Crust if you go the store bought route!
Are you team homemade pie crust? Then feel free to use your favorite homemade pie crust recipe for this! Everyone, else? Go ahead and do what I do and pick up a store-bought one. It makes this pie so much easier, which means you can make it more often! Trust me, once you do, your family and friends are going to demand you make it for every party and potluck.
10 minutes of prep time is all you need before you pop this beauty in the oven. That’s it! No one would ever guess – they’ll think you worked all day to make this apple pie!
What Ingredients do I need to make Apple Pie?
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious easy Apple Pie recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
What Ingredients do I need for Apple Pie Crumb Topping Recipe?
Apple Pie Filling:
- pie pastry
- brown sugar
- quick oats
- store-bought caramel sauce
How to Make an Apple Pie with Crumb Topping
- Prep the apples – In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add the sliced apples and toss them in the mixture until they are evenly coated.
- Make the crumb topping – Combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, and butter in a bowl.
- Assemble the pie – Place the pie pastry in the pie pan. Place the sliced apples in the pie pan and sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of the apples in an even layer.
- Bake the apple pie – Bake the pie at 375 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes. Cover the pie with foil and bake it for another 20 minutes or until the apples are tender. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the top of the pie and then cool it completely. Serve with ice cream!
What Tools are helpful with making Apple Pie?
- 9″ deep-dish pie pan
- large mixing boil
- aluminum foil
Quick tips and tricks to make the BEST Apple Pie with Crumb Topping!
If you have any additional questions comment below and we will do our best to answer your questions!
What is the Best Apple for a Pie?
The best apples for apple pie are ones that are firm and will hold their shape when they bake. In terms of flavor, some people like pies made with tart apples like Granny Smith and others like sweet apples like Golden Delicious or Pink Lady. For this apple pie I’m sharing, I actually prefer the tart apples because they complement the sweet crumble topping. You can also do a mix of sweet and tart apples, too!
How Many Apples are Needed for a Pie?
This is a deep-dish apple pie, so you will need approximately 2 pounds of apples. Once you thinly slice them you should have approximately 5 and 1/2 cups of sliced apples.
How Many Cups is a Sliced Apple?
It depends on the size of your apples. So, if you use large apples you should get approximately 2 1/2 cups sliced apples per apple. A medium-sized apple will give you approximately 1 1/3 cup sliced apples.
Should I use quick or rolled oats in the crumb topping?
You will need quick oats for the crumb topping. Quick oats cook a lot faster than rolled oats.
How long does Apple Pie last?
Homemade apple pie will keep at room temperature up to two days. If you keep it in the refrigerator it will last up to four to five days.
How do I store leftover Apple Pie?
Whether you store it at room temperature or in the refrigerator, be sure to loosely cover the apple pie with plastic wrap or foil.
This is one of our favorite fall desserts and I know you are going to love it, too! If you love apple desserts keep reading for more ideas. Or, browse more pie recipes if you want more inspiration!
More Apple Recipes!
Love apples in the fall as much as we do? Don’t miss out on these delicious recipes using apple!
- Apple Bars with Caramel Frosting
- Easy Apple Crisp
- Apple Muffins
- Crumb Apple Zucchini Bread
- Grilled Caramel Apple Crisp
- Apple Pull Apart Bread
More Pie Recipes!
Here are a few of our all-time favorite pie recipes you have to try!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS APPLE PIE WITH CRUMB TOPPING RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
I’d love it you would rate this recipe!! A five-star rating will make my day!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Apple Pie with Crumb Topping Recipe
- 1 pie pastry
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 1/2 c. peeled and thinly sliced apples
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. quick oats
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/3 c. caramel ice cream sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place pastry in a 9" deep dish pie pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Toss the apples in this mixture and pour into the pie crust.
- Throughly combine the crumb topping ingredients. Sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture.
- Bake the pie for 20-30 minutes. Then cover with foil and bake another 20 minutes until the apples are tender. Remove pie from oven and drizzle with 1/3 c. butterscotch caramel ice cream sauce. Cool and serve with ice cream.