This is the best Beer Cheese Soup to warm you up from the inside out on a cold winter day! This homemade soup smooth, creamy and delicious…it’s one of my favorites. I love topping it with popcorn, but you can also top it with fried bacon or make soft pretzels and dunk them.
Beer cheese soup is esentially the soupy version of beer cheese. So, if you’ve ever wanted to just take a spoon to your beer cheese dip but felt like it was “socially unacceptable”, here’s your compromise!
This beer and cheese soup is so creamy and delicious. It’s the perfect bowl of warmth on a cold day and will pair really well with some homemade soft pretzels.
Or, you can make this really easy air fryer bacon and crumble it over your bowl of soup. You can really pair this with anything, and it’ll be good! Because what doesn’t go with cheese?
Why You’ll Love Beer Cheese Soup
- This soup is the perfect quick dinner on a busy weeknight. It only takes 25 minutes to make!
- This soup makes 8 servings, so it’s a great dinner option for large families or small parties.
- Beer and cheese soup is a very affordable dinner option, even if you double or triple the recipe!
Ingredients for this Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
- Velveeta – This is the key to this cheesy and delicious beer and cheese soup.
- Hot Water – I recommend using purified or filter water for best results.
- Chicken Broth – Just grab your favorite chicken broth. If you want a richer flavor and more protein, you can try using chicken bone broth!
- Butter – You are welcome to use either salted or unsalted butter. Velveeta is pretty salty on its own, so if you don’t like a lot of salt, I would use unsalted butter.
- Beer – Choose whatever beer you’d like to cook.
- Half and Half – Half and half is the perfect mixture for this soup recipe. You can use whole milk, 2% milk, or even heavy cream, but the texture may come out a bit different. Half and half works best in my opinion!
- All-purpose Flour – This will act as the thickener for this soup.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Worcestershire sauce has a distinct flavor that is perfect for this soup.
- Popcorn – I know, topping a soup with popcorn sounds weird. But don’t knock it till you try it! It’s absolutely delicious. But feel free to omit and substitute something else like bacon bits or pretzel bites.
How to make Beer Cheese Soup
In a large sauce pan, melt your butter. Slowly whisk in your flour and continue to mix until it’s smooth and cook the mixture for about 5 minutes.
Slowly add the chicken broth to the mixture of flour and butter, whisking continuously. While whisking, add the half and half and Worcestershire sauce until thoroughly combined.
Add your hot water and beer and whisk continuously. You’ll want to constantly whisk through all of these steps to keep your beer and cheese soup from sticking and burning.
Stir well until the soup has thickened. Cut the Velveeta into cubes and continue to whisk until the soup thickens again. Simmer until hot all the way through.
Garnish with homemade popcorn, or other desired toppings, and serve!
This soup obviously goes great with homemade soft pretzels, but there’s tons of other things you can serve with it too! This easy, 6 ingredient, beer bread will be a great addition to your bowl of soup. You could even make some homemade crescent rolls too!
Top each warm bowl of cheesy soup with popcorn, bacon bits, or any other desired topping.
How long does Beer Cheese Soup last?
FRIDGE: Store your leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
FREEZER: This soup freezes well too! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What type of beer is good for this Beer Cheese Soup Recipe?
Really any beer will work! But my favorites are beers with a rich and malty flavor. Amber lagers are great, and anything that has a rich flavor. Avoid any beers with fruity notes and a bitter aftertaste.
Is beer cheese soup safe for children to consume?
Yes! This beer and cheese soup is cooked at a heat level that cooks out the alcohol content, making it safe for children to eat.
- Use a high quality beer in this recipe. It can be easy to think that cooking with a low-quality beer won’t matter, but the better the beer, the better the soup will be!
- Feel free to double or triple this recipe to have plenty for parties or to freeze for later.
- Stir continuously as you add every ingredient. You’ll want to keep the soup from sticking and burning. Work over low-medium heat. Slow and steady wins the race!
I hope you love this beer cheese soup recipe as much as I do! A cheesy bowl of soup just hits the spot.
More Easy Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Want another deliciously cheesy soup? Try this Easy Cheeseburger Soup!
- Clam Chowder is truly a bowl full of comfort food!
- If you need an easy crock pot soup recipe, you’ll love this Crock Pot Chili Mac.
- This Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup is packed full of ingredients like chicken, mushrooms, and carrots.
- Make this delicious, easy Ham Bone Soup! It’s loaded with navy beans, onion, carrot, celery and ham for a hearty dinner that will you fill you up.
- Hamburger Macaroni Soup is a hearty soup that will fill you up, plus it’s quick and easy.
- Comforting, from scratch French Onion Soup is a delicious recipe perfect for cold winter months.
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 cans chicken broth 14.5 oz each
- 1 can hot water refill an empty chicken broth can with water
- 2 c. half and half
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 12 oz can beer
- 16 oz Velveeta
- Popcorn for garnish
- In a large sauce pan melt butter over low heat. Slowly whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 5 minutes.
- Gradually add broth to flour mixture while continuously whisking. Continue to whisk and add half and half and Worcestershire. After that add hot water and beer while continuously whisking.
- Continue to cook over medium heat while continuously whisking until soup thickens. Stir in cheese until melted. Simmer until hot.
- Serve and garnish with popcorn.