A delicious, hearty soup to warm up with on a cold, blustery day. This homemade Cheeseburger Soup is packed with potatoes, ground beef, and diced carrots in a creamy cheese soup. It’s a fun take on cheeseburgers for the winter! So easy to make and always a hit for dinner.
There’s nothing like a hearty soup on a cold winter day and this one is always a favorite. This easy Cheeseburger Soup has all the flavors of your favorite burger in soup form!
Loaded with beef, onion, carrots, potatoes and Velveeta cheese to make it cheesy!
What’s the key to this soup? Velveeta! It gives this soup creamy cheesiness effortlessly. If you love this recipe, be sure to check this Cheesy Bacon and Potato Soup too!
Ingredients Needed for Cheeseburger Soup
- Ground beef – A leaner ground beef will work in this recipe if you prefer.
- Onion – Chop these finely and even onion haters won’t realize they are in there! It gives this soup so much flavor.
- Carrots – Peeled and diced, you could also shred them to sneak them in if you have picky eaters.
- Potatoes – We prefer using Yukon gold potatoes, but Russets are another great option.
- Chicken broth – You could substitute beef broth if you prefer.
- Velveeta cheese – This thickens the soup and is the best option for cheese because it melts great and thickens it, but if you prefer you can use shredded cheddar cheese. It will result in a thinner soup.
- Milk – We used 2% milk when we made this, a milk with a high fat content is recommended so the soup is thicker.
- Sour cream – Used to thicken and flavor, but in a pinch cream cheese will also work.
- Flour – This is what thickens the soup.
- Spices & Seasonings – Dried basil, parsley flakes, salt, pepper,
How to Make Cheeseburger Soup
- Brown – In a skillet over medium heat brown the beef along with onion, carrots, basil and parsley in a Tablespoon of butter.
- Cook – When the hamburger is browned drain off any excess grease. Then add in potatoes and broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Make Roux – In a small saucepan melt remaining butter then add flour, whisking continuously to form a paste. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth and thick.
- Combine – When the potatoes are tender stir in flour roux and mix in. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper and cook on low, stirring until the cheese melts. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
We like to make a topping bar to add your own twist and flavor to this soup. This is a lot of fun when you have company over! Here are our favorite toppings.
- Bacon Pieces: I buy microwavable bacon when I just need a little bacon and then dice it up after I cook it. Or buy the bacon pieces from Costco and warm them up.
- Sour Cream: A dallop of sour cream for rich flavor and extra creaminess.
- Onion: Sliced green onion add a pop of color and flavor.
- Pickles: It’s not a cheeseburger without pickles, right? Dice some dill pickles up and sprinkle them on top.
- Crackers: We love Ritz crackers, but Oyster or Saltine crackers are perfect.
- Chips: Perfect for the bottom of the bag crumbs!
How to Store Leftovers
- Cool any leftovers completely and then store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- We do not recommend freezing this soup because potatoes get mushy in the freezer and the cheese sauce may separate, but it you can freeze it if you want too.
How to Reheat Cheeseburger Soup
To reheat leftovers place the amount you want to reheat in a saucepan and turn heat to low until soup is heated through. You can also reheat in the microwave in 1 minute intervals, until soup is reheated, making sure to stir every minute.
- Instead of diced carrots you can shred them to sneak them in if you have picky eaters, you could also just skip them.
- We topped our soup with shredded cheddar cheese, but some other great ideas is chopped pickles, bacon bits, sour cream etc.
Cheeseburger soup is filling on it’s own, but if you want to add a crusty bread or side salad to the meal they are the perfect side dish to serve with soup.
More Delicious Soup Recipes!
- Put a little kick in your soup with this easy Easy Taco Soup that’s healthy and delicious!
- All the flavors of lasagna are in this Easy Lasagna Soup.
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup is a traditional soup that’s always a favorite and so easy to make.
- Creamy, cheesy Broccoli Cheese Soup is so good on a cold day!
- 1 pounds ground beef
- ¾ cup onion finely diced
- ¼ cup carrots finely diced
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 Tablespoons butter divided
- 2 cans chicken broth 14.5 oz each
- 4 cups Yukon gold potatoes diced and peeled
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Velveeta cheese (16 oz)
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a large pan brown the beef along with the onion, carrots, basil and parsley in 1 tbsp butter until vegetables are tender and beef is browned.
- When meat is brown drain off any excess grease. Add broth and then potatoes to meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes are cooking melt remaining butter in a small saucepan. Add flour, whisking continuously to form a paste. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth and thick.
- After the potatoes are tender stir in the milk mixture until completely mixed in. Next stir in cheese, salt and pepper; cook on low and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream.
- Serve immediately, Garnish with shredded cheese, chopped green onions etc.