This Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup Recipe makes a huge pot so you can enjoy it with friends and family during the winter months. It’s a great recipe to take to a potluck. Throw it in a crockpot to keep it warm. It’s full of potatoes, bacon and cheese. You are going to LOVE this potato soup recipe this winter!
I made this potato soup for the first time a few years ago and brought it to the in-laws Christmas. As in, the first Christmas I ever went to so there was a lot of pressure on this soup! Luckily it passed the test and I had people asking for the recipe.
Like my Beer Cheese Soup, it’s perfect for enjoying on cold winter nights when I’m lounging in front of the TV enjoying some movies!
Grocery list for Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
- yukon gold potatoes
- yellow onion
- chicken bouillon cubes
- Cheese Whiz
- Bacon Bits
Potato Soup Recipe
What are the best potatoes to use?
The potatoes I recommend for potato soup with bacon is a yukon gold potato, but really it’s a matter of choice. Different potatoes provide different types of texture and creaminess in soup.
- Russet potatoes will add starchiness and will help thicken it.
- Red potatoes have very low starch, so they really won’t change the texture of your soup or stew.
- Yukon gold potatoes are considered a great all-purpose potato. They will add a creamy texture and (often times!) if scrubbed well you might even get away with not peeling them. A big plus in my book!
How to a make Potato Soup with Bacon
- Peel and chop the vegetables.
- Place potatoes, carrots and onion pot filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until crisp-tender, drain well
- Next, in a large pot melt the butter. When melted, add the flour. Whisk until it is creamy and smooth.
- Add 12 cups hot water to butter mixture and whisk to combine. Add the bullion cubes. Stir until it thickens and bullion has dissolved
- When the soup has thickened add the jar of cheese whiz and stir well
- Now add your cooked veggies and bacon pieces after the cheese has melted. Enjoy this super cheesy bacon potato soup!
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Crock Pot Cream Cheese Ham and Potato Soup
- Light Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana Recipe
- Crock Pot Potato Soup
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS CHEESY POTATO SOUP RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Don’t forget, comment below and let me know how much you love this meal! Post a picture on Instagram and be sure to tag me so I can see it too! I’m loving all of your delicious foodie pics! You can find me at @julieseatsandtreats or just #julieseatsandtreats -if you hashtag me, I’ll get to see it that way too!
- 8 c. yukon gold potatoes peeled and cubed into 1'' pieces
- 1 yellow onion minced
- 2 c. carrots peeled and diced
- 12 C water HOT
- 12 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1/2 c. butter
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 15 oz jar Cheese Whiz
- 3 oz Real Bacon Bits by Oscar Mayer
- Peel and chop the vegetables. Place potatoes, carrots and onion in a LARGE pot filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until crisp tender, about 8 minutes. When they are done pour them into a strainer and drain water.
- In your large pot melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add your flour. Whisk until it is a silky smooth mixture.
- Add your 12 cups hot water to butter mixture and whisk to combine. Then add the bullion cubes. Stir the mixture until it starts to thicken up and bullion cubes have dissolved about 5-10 minutes.
- When the soup has thickened add the jar of cheese whiz. Stir to incorporate. Add your cooked veggies and bacon pieces after the cheese has melted.