Light Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana Recipe ~ A Delicious Copy Cat Recipe of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana But Even Better Because It’s Slow Cooked in Your Crock Pot and Lightened Up! Perfect Comfort Food Dinner!
I learned something today. Apparently Miss K loves raw onions. Say what?! That’s right when I was chopping some onions for this Crock Pot Stuffing she kept asking if she could have some. I said no a few times then I started to get slightly annoyed so I said sure go ahead just make sure you have some water! Low and behold she goes YUM Mom! What…. then she asked for more. I was flabbergasted. This leads me to the questions do you love or hate onions? I’ve started to love them. It wasn’t like that all the time, but I have started sneaking them into dishes like Light Italian Shrimp & Rice Skillet or this Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup.
My hubs is a bit boring with his taste buds. I’m way more daring with ingredients, but compared to a lot of you I’m boring! Kale is another example if ones of those ingredients a lot of people might turn their nose up at. I was one of those people. That was until I ordered Zuppa Toscana Soup at Olive Garden. That was a game changer. I literally couldn’t get enough of it. It was something dreams were made out of. It hearty, comforting and has a zip to it.
If you are like me and live in the middle of nowhere or would rather just enjoy this delicious soup at home this is your lucky day!
I recreated the Zuppa Toscana Soup recipe, plus I made it for your Crock Pot so you can come home to this soup after a long day at work, put your feet up and enjoy a big bowl of it because if you are like me some nights the last thing you want to do after work is make dinner!
Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage (mild can be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 6 sliced bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces, Russets can be substituted
- 4 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 c. chopped kale
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour corn starch can be substituted
- 1 c. heavy cream
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in skillet. Add sausage and cook with garlic and onions crumbling as it cooks. Drain off excess grease when sausage is cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Cook bacon in same skillet until crips. Remove and chop into small pieces.
- Combine all ingredients except kale, flour and heavy cream in 6 quart slow cooker. Cook on low 5-6 hours or high 3-4 hours or until potatoes test done.
- When the soup is 30 minutes away from being down whisk together heavy cream and flour in small bowl. Pour into slow cooker along with kale and stir to combine. Cook on HIGH 30 minutes or until soup has thickened slightly.
Things You Might Need for this Recipe!
Craving More Delicious Soup Recipes?
Follow my Delicious Soup Recipes Board on Pinterest!
On Julie’s Eats & Treats!
This Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup is creamy, rich with flavor and perfect for spring! Throw it in the Crock Pot and it will be waiting for you when you are ready to eat!
Cream Cheese Ham & Potato Soup ~ Easy Crock Pot Soup loaded with ham and potatoes!
Crock Pot White Chicken Chili ~ Loaded with White Beans, Cheese, Cayenne Pepper and Green Chilies to give it a KICK!