Homemade Fajita Seasoning only takes five minutes to make and is the perfect blend of seasonings for your fajitas. The combination of spices is out of this world! Perfect to sprinkle on chicken, steak, shrimp, vegetables and more!
Fajitas are one of my favorite meals! But, if you’re like me, I get so frustrated when I get home from the grocery store and realize that I forgot to buy a packet of fajita seasoning. It happens every.single.time. Until, I decided to make my own homemade fajita seasoning!
Now, I’m ready to make fajitas whenever. And you know what, this seasoning is worlds better than the packet anyway! It’s even great to use as a quick swap in fajita recipes like these Crock Pot Steak Fajitas. Instead of measuring out the spices in that recipe, I’ll throw in some of this simple fajita seasoning and voila, the perfect fajitas!
Why You’ll Love this Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- This recipe uses spices that you most likely already have in your spice cabinet.
- Making your own fajita seasoning is more cost effective than buying a packet every time you want to make fajitas.
- This simple fajita seasoning is super easy to make and has a long shelf life.
Ingredients for this Fajita Seasoning Recipe
- Salt – Be sure you’re using a good quality salt and that it isn’t too coarse.
- Chili Powder – Chili powder gives fajitas a very distinct flavor. Don’t use red pepper, use chili powder!
- Smoked Paprika – I promise, you’re going to want smoked paprika in your easy homemade fajita seasoning. You’ll be able to taste the difference if you just use regular paprika.
- Ground Cumin – Cumin is a quintessential flavor in fajita seasoning, don’t leave it out!
- Ground Black Pepper – Be sure not to use a black pepper that is super coarse.
- Garlic Powder – I tend to measure garlic powder by the heart! But, for this easy homemade fajita seasoning I measure it out so it doesn’t over power the other spices.
- Onion Powder – Even if you make fajitas with fresh onions, you’re going to want onion powder in your fajita seasoning mix.
How to Make Homemade Fajita Seasoning
Combine all of the spices into a mixing bowl until evenly mixed.
Place into an airtight spice jar and use when needed!
Storage Tips for Homemade Fajita Seasoning
Be sure to keep your seasoning in an airtight spice jar, in a cool, dry, cabinet.
Why Is my Fajita Seasoning Clumpy?
If you find that your mix has gotten clumpy, it could be that moisture somehow got into the bottle. Be sure you’re storing it away from the stovetop so that moisture from steam as you’re cooking doesn’t make your seasoning clump up.
If it is clumpy though, it is still good to cook with! Just use a fork to break up the clumps.
Pro Tips for the best Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Turn this fajita seasoning recipe into a simple homemade gift! Add the mix to a nice jar, tie a pretty bow around it, and even attach a recipe card for fajitas.
- Try using this mix in soups and other recipes, just for fun!
- Use high quality spices in this easy homemade fajita seasoning for the best results.
Better than the packet and super easy to make! This homemade fajita seasoning is versatile and tasty.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Did you forget the packet of taco seasoning at the store? Try out this Homemade Taco Seasoning!
- I love using this Homemade Ranch Seasoning in recipes and to make my own ranch dressing.
- Try out that homemade taco seasoning in this Taco Casserole!
- You can use the ranch seasoning in these tasty Ranch Pretzels!
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoons salt
- In a bowl combine all spices.
- Cover and store in an airtight container in a cool dry space for up to one year.