Mouthwatering, homemade Meatloaf plus light, fluffy and delicious Mashed Potatoes all cooked in your pressure cooker! This Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes recipe is a meal all in your Instant Pot. Pair it with an easy tossed salad or roasted vegetables for a dinner that will be a hit with everyone.
Now you can make the ultimate comfort food dinner during the week in your Instant Pot! Homemade meatloaf and mashed potatoes are one of my family’s all-time favorites and now you can cook both at the same time in your Instant Pot. Once you try it, you won’t go back to the oven or stove again.
Why This Recipe Works
- Yes, you read that right: the potatoes and meatloaf go into the IP at the same time. It’s a seriously easy one pot meal!
- The meatloaf is tender and juicy with a tangy sauce. The potatoes are fluffy and creamy – the best combination!
- Instant Pot meatloaf and mashed potatoes are ready in less than an hour with way less mess to clean-up!
- It’s so easy you can make it from scratch during the week – your family is going to love it!
I love to serve it with an easy vegetable on the side like glazed carrots or roasted vegetables. I make the side dish while the IP is doing its magic so it’s all ready at the same time. Hello, amazing and EASY comfort food dinner.
Ingredients for the Meatloaf
Ground beef – it also works with ground turkey! Use a lean ground beef to prevent the mashed potatoes from getting greasy.
Whisked eggs – Room temperature eggs mix-in easier. These provide moisture and help bind the meatloaf together.
Italian Panko bread crumbs – if you have plain on hand you can season them with a teaspoon or so of Italian seasoning. These help bind the meatloaf together and the large Panko bread crumbs trap in more moisture!
Milk – 2% or whole milk work best!
Seasonings – A mixture of seasoned salt, garlic powder, and ground black pepper
Chopped yellow onion – Red or white onion works, too, if that’s what you have on hand. Make sure it’s finely chopped.
Ketchup – this gives the sauce a tangy kick!
Brown sugar – a little sweetness balances the sauce.
Prepared yellow mustard – or try another kind of mustard like Dijon or honey mustard.
Ingredients for the Mashed Potatoes
- Quartered Yukon gold potatoes – you don’t need to peel them if you don’t want too. You can also use Russet potatoes, but you would need to peel them. We prefer the richer flavor of the Yukon gold potato.
- Chicken low-sodium broth – you can also use vegetable broth.
- Half and half – or for richer mashed potatoes, use cream. You could also use milk, but it won’t be as rich.
- Sour cream
- Cubed butter
Combine the beef, eggs, panko, milk, salt, garlic powder, onion, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix just until combined.
Form the mixture into a loaf about the size of your IP and place it on a piece of foil that is bigger than the loaf. Form the foil around the meatloaf so it makes a bowl. This will catch the fat as it cooks.
Place the potatoes in an even layer at the bottom of the Instant Pot. Pour the chicken broth over them. Place the rack on top of so it lays flat. Place the meatloaf with the foil on the rack.
Secure the lid and turn the valve to the sealed position. Set the manual mode to cook at high pressure for 30 minutes.
When the timer goes off, carefully open the valve to do a quick release of the steam and then remove the lid. Use a thermometer to check the temperature of the meatloaf in the thickest part. It should read 155°F. If it’s not done, secure the lid, close the valve, and cook it for five minutes longer on high pressure.
Once it’s done cooking, carefully lift the meatloaf out of the pot so none of the grease spills. Place it on a sheet pan.
In a small bowl, mix ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. Spread the sauce over the meatloaf. Place it under the broiler for three to four minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and caramelized.
To make the mashed potatoes, add half and half, sour cream, and butter to the IP. Use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash the potatoes until they’re fluffy.
What type of ground beef is the best for Meatloaf?
90% lean ground beef works great for this recipe. It has enough fat to add flavor but not so much that you have a lot of grease in the foil when it’s done cooking. For a leaner meatloaf, use leaner ground beef or ground turkey.
How do I mix together meatloaf?
The key to tender, juicy meatloaf is in the mixing. Use your hands to make it easy and mix just until combined. You don’t want to overmix the meat, otherwise, the loaf will be dense and less juicy.
What can I mix into the Mashed Potatoes?
Feel free to add some cheese like shredded cheddar, Parmesan, or other cheese that you like when you mash the potatoes. Sometimes I add some fresh herbs like chopped parsley or sliced chives.
Why do I need to let the meatloaf rest?
Let the meatloaf rest after you broiler it. This allows all of the juices to redistribute back into the meat so each slice is juicy and delicious. You can tent it with foil while you make the mashed potatoes and it will be perfect!
How should I store leftover meatloaf and Mashed potatoes?
This meal makes great leftovers! It will keep for three to four days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Let it cool off before sealing the lid on the container and placing in the refrigerator. Enjoy it warmed up or make Meatloaf Sandwiches the next day!
Side Dish Ideas
Instant Pot meatloaf and mashed potatoes are delicious all on their own, but it’s easy to add a side dish to make it a complete meal. Here are some we love:
- Make some air fryer broccoli or asparagus for a healthy side.
- Add some bread like easy breadsticks or dinner rolls.
- A simple salad with romaine, fresh veggies, and your favorite dressing is good, too!
- Or, browse all of my easy side dish recipes for even more ideas.
Instant Pot meatloaf and mashed potatoes needs to be in your dinner rotation! This hearty dinner is always a family favorite – I know you’re going to love it!
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Chili Mac is a comforting one-pot meal your family will love!
- Beef Stroganoff is so easy to make in an electric pressure cooker! The beef, sauce, and noodles cook together for a hearty dinner.
- Make a cozy Beef Stew to warm up on a cold night!
- Make homemade French Dip Sandwiches! The shredded beef cooks fast and is delicious piled on soft rolls with cheese. Don’t forget the au jus for dipping!
- If you love your sweet potatoes creamy on the inside you will want to try these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes!
- If you need an easy Instant Pot dinner recipe to add to your dinner rotation you have to try this delicious Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs!
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings that are perfectly sticky!
Did you try this recipe and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy dinner!!
- 2 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs whisked
- ½ cup Italian Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup yellow onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes washed and quartered
- 1 cup chicken low sodium broth
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 4 Tablespoons butter cubed
- Layer potatoes on the bottom of your pressure cooker evenly. Pour the chicken broth over the potatoes. Lay the rack that came with your Instant Pot over the potatoes so that it lays flat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients for meatloaf. Mix until well combined, but do not overmix.
- Form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf about the size of your instant pot and layer on a foil sheet larger than your loaf. Roll up the sides of the foil so that it forms a “bowl” around it to catch the grease. Place it on the rack on top of the potatoes.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to the sealed position and set the manual mode for high pressure for 30 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, perform a quick release to let steam out of Instant Pot. Remove the lid and check meatloaf for an internal temperature of 155 degrees F. If it is not done, replace the lid and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Carefully lift the meatloaf out of the Instant Pot so none of the grease spills. Place onto a sheet pan.
- In a small bowl combine ingredients for sauce and mix until combined. Spread sauce over the meatloaf. Place in the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes or until the top is bubbly and caramelized.
- Meanwhile add the remaining ingredients to the mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Serve immediately.