Got leftover meatloaf? The best way to use it up is this delicious and easy Meatloaf Sandwich! A slice of meatloaf sandwiched in between two pieces of toasted bread with cheese, ketchup and mustard!
Recently, I shared the best meatloaf recipe and now I’m back to show you how to use the leftovers to make the best meatloaf sandwich!
Sometimes I make meatloaf just so I can have leftovers for sandwiches – they are so good! And this isn’t an ordinary sandwich, my way of making it takes a leftover slice of meatloaf and elevates it to a whole new level.
Why This Recipe Works
- Any kind of leftover meatloaf will work for this recipe, but my classic meatloaf recipe works really well!
- This is a hot meatloaf sandwich that is grilled on the stove. I also add some cheese that gets nice and melty when you toast the sandwich.
- This is an easy recipe that takes about 10 minutes to make. Perfect for an easy lunch or dinner!
- Meatloaf – I like to use thick slices, but you can make them as thick or thin as you like.
- Bread – I think a thick-sliced white bread works best for this recipe. Texas toast would be great or thick slices of country white bread.
- Cheese – any good melting cheese will work. I like to use either cheddar cheese or American cheese.
- Condiments – a little ketchup and mustard adds some sweet and tangy flavor!
- Butter – this will give the bread that crispy, toasted, grilled texture like a grilled cheese.
How to Make It
Warm: I like to warm the meatloaf first in the microwave. Depending on how thick it is, it may not heat through when you grill the sandwich. Microwaving it for 30 seconds or so gives it a headstart so it’s nice and hot.
Butter: Take two slices of bread and butter one side of each. Flip them over and brush them with mustard and ketchup.
Assemble: Place on slice of bread butter-side down in a hot non-stick pan. Place the slice of meatloaf on top and then add the cheese. Place the other slice of bread on top with the buttered side facing up.
Cook: Grill the sandwich on one side until toasty and golden. Flip the sandwich over and cook it on the other side until golden. It should only take seven to eight minutes to cook the sandwich.
Depending on the kind of meatloaf you have leftover, you can make all kinds of variations for your sandwiches! Here are some ideas you might like to try:
Italian Meatloaf Sandwich: Use leftover Italian meatloaf and use a slice of mozzarella and a little marinara sauce to make your sandwich.
BBQ Meatloaf Sandwich: Use my classic recipe, and instead of ketchup and mustard, smear some BBQ sauce on the bread for a different twist.
Open-Faced Meatloaf Sandwich: Skip the top piece of bread and double up on the cheese to make a delicious open-faced version!
Leftover Cold Meatloaf Sandwich: Skip the grilling and place the slice on bread with crispy lettuce leaves, juicy tomatoes, and pickle slices for a cold sandwich.
Hearty, savory, and delicious with all that melted cheese! Make these epic hot sandwiches after meatloaf night and you won’t regret it!
More Hot Sandwich Recipes
- Learn how to make a Classic Reuben! This sandwich is loaded with flavors and lots of melted cheese for an amazing hearty sandwich.
- Skip the diner version and make a Tuna Melt – you can easily customize this recipe to make your perfect sandwich!
- Sometimes it’s the simple things that make you happy and a Grilled Cheese will do just that! This is a sandwich you can make in your air fryer for perfectly toasted bread and ooey-gooey melted cheese.
- Switch up pizza night and make Pizza Sandwich Sliders. Pepperoni, melted cheese, and sauce on slider buns are a delicious hot sandwich recipe!
Try it and love it? I’d love it if you’d give it a rating below and comment.
If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy pics!!
- 1 slice leftover meatloaf
- 1 Tbsp butter softened
- 2 slices thick hearty bread
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp prepared yellow mustard
- Place a slice of meatloaf on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, until heated through.
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with butter.
- Place the bread with ketchup butter side down in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Then top with 1 slice of cheddar cheese, slice of warmed meatloaf and mustard. Top with the remaining slice of bread, butter side up.
- Cook until the bottom of the sandwich is lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned.