The best comfort food dinner made in one pan! No Peek Chicken and Rice is a family favorite dinner recipe that’s easy to make. A creamy combination of rice, cream of mushroom and chicken soup, chicken broth with chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle the dish with Onion Soup Mix, cover and bake!
No peek chicken is a six-ingredient dinner that is so easy to make. Chicken and rice are always a comforting and cozy dinner, and this casserole is one of our all-time favorites.
You only need a few minutes to prep it, and then it goes in the oven. When it’s done you have a hearty dinner!
Why is it called no peek chicken?
This is an old-school chicken and rice bake that gets its name from the way it’s cooked.
All of the ingredients go into a baking dish, and then you cover it tightly with foil. This traps the steam while the casserole bakes, which cooks the meat and rice perfectly.
The “no peeking” part is a warning – if you lift the foil while it’s baking, all of the steam will escape! So, leave it alone while it’s in the oven, and you’re rewarded with an amazing dinner.
You Will Love This Easy Recipe
- You don’t have to precook anything – the sauce, rice, and chicken all go into the baking dish and cook together.
- The flavors are familiar and cozy plus all of the ingredients, except for the meat, are pantry ingredients.
- You can make it ahead and freeze it or keep it in the fridge, making it a great meal to take to friends and family.
We love our casserole recipes around here, and there’s nothing easier than this no peek chicken and rice. If you’ve never tried this classic, add it to your meal plan this week!
You Only Need 6 Ingredients
- Long-grain white rice – Make sure it’s long grain or it will overcook and be mushy.
- Cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup – Grab low sodium if you can!
- Chicken broth – Grab low sodium if you can!
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Onion soup mix – Lipton is our go to brand.
Make It in 3 Easy Steps
Mix: In a medium bowl, mix the rice, both kinds of soup, and chicken broth. Pour into a prepared baking dish.
Layer: Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture and sprinkle the onion soup mix over the top.
Bake: Cover the baking dish with foil and bake the casserole for one hour and 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
Make It a Complete Meal
Add some delicious side dishes to make hearty and filling dinner:
- While it’s baking, make some Glazed Carrots – you only need five ingredients!
- Use your air fryer for cooking delicious Asparagus or Broccoli.
- Add a side of easy Creamed Peas – they’re so simple to make.
- Dinner Rolls are always good!
Remember, No Peeking! The key to this recipe is tightly covering the dish with foil. It locks in all of the steam, so there is enough moisture to cook the steam the rice and cook the meat. So, don’t lift the foil while it’s in the oven! Otherwise, the steam will escape.
Rice Tip: Be sure to use long-grain white rice and not short grain. Short grain rice will end up overcooked and mushy. I haven’t tried brown rice, but it will take longer to cook, so be aware if you make this substitution.
Make-Ahead Tip: You can assemble this dish up to a day in advance and keep it in the refrigerator. If it goes into the oven cold, you will need to bake it a little longer.
Freezing Tip: You can also freeze it for up to a month! Assemble and then wrap the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Thaw it in the fridge overnight before baking.
Storing Leftovers: The leftovers are fantastic! Once it’s cooled, store them in an airtight container, and they will keep well for a few days.
I hope you give this classic baked chicken and rice casserole a try – it’s always a family favorite! I’ve made it countless times and always have the ingredients on hand because it’s so easy to toss together during the week. Enjoy!
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Lasagna Casserole has all the flavors of lasagna but easier to make! It’s a great freezer-meal to make-ahead for an easy dinner.
- My Haystack Casserole is a favorite family recipe made with rice and taco meat. It’s topped with cheese sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and olives and served with tortilla chips.
- Chicken Alfredo Bake with Roasted Red Peppers is a cozy pasta bake perfect for when you’re craving a hearty pasta dinner!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though, a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy dinner!!
No Peek Chicken and Rice
- 2 c long grain white rice
- 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup (1 can)
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup (1 can)
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 oz package Lipton onion soup mix (1 package)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the white rice, cream of mushroom and chicken soup and chicken broth. Mix until combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture. Sprinkle the onion soup mix on top of the casserole evenly. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.