Want to make tacos? This quick and easy recipe results in the best Taco Meat using ground beef and a simple blend of seasonings for a homemade taco seasoning. It’s my go-to recipe for making when we are craving tacos because I always have all the ingredients in my house!
For years whenever I made taco meat I always bought those little packets of taco seasoning at the store. You know, the ones that have all the spices plus a lot of other mysterious ingredients? Well, at some point I finally realized, “Hey! I already have the ingredients to make my own seasoning in my cabinet!” We love tacos at my house so I started making my own seasoning and now I use it all the time to make taco meat.
If you’ve been buying those little packets I think you’re going to love this homemade seasoning – you only need four ingredients for the seasoning! Yes, four! Chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder. Add some beef and tomato sauce and you’ve got the makings for delicious beef tacos. I bet if you check your spices you have all four and after you see how we’ll use them to make simple and delicious seasoned meat for tacos, you’ll never go back to those store-bought seasoning packets again!
This seasoning isn’t just for tacos – you can use it for pretty much any recipe that calls for the same seasonings like walking tacos, chicken tacos, casseroles, beef enchiladas, and soup! I always have the spices on hand so it’s so easy to pull together a taco-inspired dinner on the fly.
The Easiest Taco Meat Recipe – Just 6 Ingredients!
I’ve made this simple seasoned meat so many times I’ve lost count! At this point, I can pretty much make it with my eyes closed – it’s that easy. It’s also so delicious and can be used in so many ways beyond tacos. Are you ready for it? You’ll probably have it memorized by the time you get to the end of the post!
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
How to Make It – Just Two Steps!
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off the fat.
- Add the spices and tomato sauce, stir to combine, and simmer until most of the liquid has reduced.
That’s it – in about 15 minutes of cooking time you get savory, flavorful beef. While it simmers you can get all of your fixings ready – 30-minute tacos are my favorite kind of weeknight dinner! For ours I love to use:
- Crunchy taco shells
- Lots of shredded cheddar cheese!
- Crisp lettuce
- Juicy tomatoes
- Sometimes I add a little drizzle of sauce if I’m feeling fancy!
Can I make it ahead?
Yes, you can make it ahead and reheat it for an easy dinner. It might be a little dry so you might want to add a little water or a little more tomato sauce when you reheat it.
Leftover meat will keep well in the refrigerator for two to three days as long as it’s kept in an airtight container. Or, you can freeze it for up to three months in a freezer-safe container!
Can I double or triple the recipe?
Yes! You can easily double or triple it if you’re feeding a crowd. It’s so fun to do a taco bar for football parties and you can make a big batch of seasoned meat and put out all of the other toppings so everyone can make their own! Don’t forget the drinks – margaritas and Palomas are the perfect drinks for a taco party!
What are other ways to use taco meat?
You can use this recipe to create all kinds of delicious dinners!
- Try my twist on stroganoff and use homemade taco seasoning to make taco stroganoff!
- Grab some tortilla chips and dip into an easy casserole that’s loaded with rice, beef and cheese.
- Or, take those chips and make a batch of taco meat for homemade beef nachos!
- Use this easy seasoning recipe to make Mexican lasagna for a hearty and comforting dinner.
Are you already planning your next taco night? I know you’re going to love this easy recipe!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- In a skillet cook ground beef over medium heat. Drain off grease.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to taco meat and simmer for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
- Add ground beef to taco shells or anything that calls for taco meat.
- Make it ahead and reheat it for an easy dinner. It might be a little dry so you might want to add a little water or a little more tomato sauce when you reheat it.
- Leftover meat will keep well in the refrigerator for two to three days as long as it's kept in an airtight container.
- Freeze it for up to three months in a freezer-safe container.
- You can easily double or triple it if you're feeding a crowd.