Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and perfectly seasoned makes these easy Oven Roasted Potatoes the perfect side dish that goes with any meal! It’s so easy to adjust the seasonings to your preference. Make these tonight!
If there’s any side dish I turn to again and again it’s roasted potatoes! They are easy to make, easy to customize with different seasonings and go with so many main dishes. I’ve made them for easy weeknight dinners with my air fryer chicken legs and holiday dinners with honey baked ham!
Why This Recipe Works
- I use red potatoes which are great for roasting. They’re not too starchy and they hold their shape when cooked. No mushy potatoes!
- They have the best texture – crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Soaking them first is the trick in making them so incredibly delicious.
- They are perfectly seasoned with a mix of dried herbs and spices. You can easily swap the seasonings to give them a different flavor, too!
- Once you get them in the oven you don’t have to flip them! Just leave them be and they’ll be perfectly cooked in about 40 minutes.
Oven roasted red potatoes are so delicious and once you try this easy recipe.
What are the Best Potatoes for Roasting?
I prefer red potatoes for this recipe, but any waxy potato that doesn’t have a lot of starch will work. So, you can substitute new potatoes and fingerlings if you want to switch it up. Yukon Golds, which have a little more starch but are still pretty waxy, are a good choice, too.
How to Prep Them
Cut: You will need to halve or quarter the potatoes, depending on how big they are. I like them to be a decent bite-sized size. The most important thing is to ensure the pieces are all approximately the same size. This will ensure they cook evenly and you won’t end up with some that are over cooked and others that are over cooked.
Soak: Similar to making French fries, I like to soak the potatoes in water first. This removes any excess starch which will help them cook up crispier.
Dry: Once they’ve soaked, thoroughly dry them by patting them with a dish towel or paper towel. You want to remove the moisture – this will help them roast faster and they will end up really crispy on the outside.
Season: Drizzle them with olive oil and then coat them in the spice mixture. They will smell amazing while they cook and will taste amazing, too!
Roast Potatoes at 375°F.
I think 375 degrees F. is the perfect temperature to roast red potatoes. You don’t want the outside to cook too fast otherwise, you might end up with pieces that aren’t cooked all the way through.
Cooking them at this temperature is hot enough to crisp up the outsides while cooking the insides until they are soft, fluffy, and delicious. They usually take about 40 minutes, but keep an eye on them because every oven is different and yours might need more or less time. The cooking time will also depend on how big your potato pieces are.
Once they are golden-brown and crispy, they’re done! Serve them right away to maximize all of the hot crispiness.
How Long Do Leftovers Keep?
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days, but they won’t stay crispy. As they cool, the outside will soften so they are best served right after they are roasted. The leftovers will still taste good, though, even if they’re aren’t crispy.
What I love best about this recipe is that they go with so many dishes! Crispy oven roasted red potatoes are perfect for weeknight dinners, but I also make them for special holiday dinners, too!
Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve them with:
What to Serve with Roasted Potatoes
- Pair them with my delicious Baked Chicken Thighs – they are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside!
- They are the perfect side dish for my Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts, too. This dish has an amazing sauce that goes perfectly with the potatoes.
- Make a batch of Meatballs and Gravy to go with them for the ultimate comfort food dinner!
- My Cranberry Crock Pot Pork Loin is a great weeknight dinner and your family will love it served with crispy roasted potatoes!
- They are perfect with Garlic Butter Steak Bites!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your delicious dish!!
Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 1½ – 2 lb small red potatoes halved or quartered
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped finely
- 2 tsp fresh thyme chopped finely
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary chopped finely
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Clean and cut potatoes in half or quartered, depending on size.
- Place potatoes in a bowl of water for 30-60 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry with paper towel. Spread evenly on baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, herbs, salt and pepper until well combined. Spoon over potatoes and toss to coat.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and golden brown. Serve immediately.