Did you know that the beloved Paloma is actually Mexico’s most beloved cocktail not the Margarita? It’s a tequila-based cocktail and is most commonly prepared with a grapefruit flavored soda, squirt of lime juice and tequila then served on the rocks with a lime wedge! Adding salt to the rim of the glass is an optional finishing touch. It’s the perfect refreshing cocktail to relax with!
We love a great margarita! How about you? I have a couple of recipes on the blog, my classic Margarita, Strawberry Lemonade Margarita and even a Strawberry Virgin Margarita to lighten it up. And there’s also Peach Rosé Sangria recipe on the blog that is just fabulous – perfect for a party!
I have another cocktail for you today that’ you’ll love just as much. Have you ever had a Paloma? If you’re a fan of a margarita, then you’ll love this recipe! Don’t believe me? Then you definitely want to give this a try!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- It’s sparkly and fun, slightly tart and refreshing!
- Only 5 Ingredients.
- You can make it in 5 minutes.
5 Ingredients Needed!
- Tequila – Purchase a good quality tequila. You don’t have to spend overboard here, but a Blanco or silver tequila is the traditional choice for this cocktail.
- Lime juice – This is easily adjusted to your taste.
- Grapefruit soda – The best option here is the Mexican-made soda Jarritos. If you can’t find that, squirt is a great choice! You can pick that up almost anywhere. You can also substitute grapefruit juice topped with lemon-lime soda to give it a bubbly fiz! You can always sub club soda and grapefruit juice also!
- Lime – The perfect garnish to your cocktail!
- Salt – We recommend a coarse sea salt to rim your cocktail glass but you could use kosher salt too.
Steps to Prepare
Fill a highball glass with ice
Add tequila and lime juice
Top with soda
Garnish with a lime wedge
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Salt Rim a Cocktail Glass
Another great option is to create a salt rim on your cocktail glass.
Simply rub the rim of your glass with a lime wedge, dip it in a small plate of salt. Then fill with your cocktail.
Simply let the ice melt a bit to water it down. The perfect way to “save” that drink!
More great cocktail recipes to enjoy!
- The BEST Summer Drinks!
- Pineapple Fruit Cocktail Drink Recipe
- 2-Ingredient Vodka Strawberry Lemonade Drink
- Easy Cocktail Recipes
- Sparkling Cranberry Cocktail
- Amaretto Sour
Have you ever tried a Paloma Cocktail? Be sure to comment below, I definitely want to hear from you!!! And if you’re like me and snap photos be sure to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures, cheers!!!
- 1 1/2 oz tequila
- 1/2 oz. lime juice
- 1/2 c. grapefruit soda
- lime wedge
- salt for rim optional
- In a highball glass filled with ice, combine tequila and lime juice. Top with soda. Garnish with lime.