Short on oven space during the holidays? Make these easy and delicious Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole! Sweet potatoes slow cooked then mashed and topped with marshmallows and pecans. So easy to make for the perfect holiday side dish recipe.
You will love the flavors in this side dish and you’ll love how easy it is. We’re all about the easy Thanksgiving recipes around here and this sweet potato casserole is always a favorite.
Easy Crock Pot Thanksgiving Side Dish
When I cook a holiday dinner, I am always looking for ways to free up oven space – the roast turkey takes up all the room! So, anything that can go in the slow cooker, instant pot, or air fryer is a winner.
This year it’s all about this crock pot sweet potato casserole! I’ve taken a baked side dish and turned it into the easiest crock pot side dish. If you’ve ever made crock pot mashed potatoes, this recipe is a lot like that.
You get those delicious mashed sweet potatoes with the mini marshmallows and crunchy pecans just like the original but, instead of the oven, it all comes together in the crock pot. It’s so easy!
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Casserole in a Crock Pot
- Sweet potatoes – You will need to peel them and then cut them into 1/2″ cubes.
- Brown sugar – When you measure it, be sure to pack it in the dry measuring cup.
- Melted unsalted butter – If you only have salted butter, reduce the amount of added salt in the recipe to about about 3/4 teaspoon.
- Pumpkin pie spice – You can buy it or make your own pumpkin spice.
- Ground cinnamon – This adds an extra kick of warm spice!
- Salt – Remember, if you use salted butter you’ll want to decrease the amount of added salt.
- Vanilla extract – This enhances the flavor of the sweet potatoes and spices.
- Mini marshmallows – Mini marshmallows work great! They’re bite-sized and the perfect topping.
- Whole pecans – I like whole nuts, but you can also use roughly chopped pecans.
How to Make Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Place the diced sweet potatoes in the crock pot.
Mix the brown sugar, melted butter, spices, salt, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Pour the mixture over the potatoes.
Cook the sweet potatoes in the crock pot on low for seven to eight hours or until they are fork tender.
Mash the cooked potatoes and then sprinkle the marshmallows over the top. Place the lid on top until the marshmallows are melted.
Sprinkle the pecans over the top of the sweet potato casserole for serving.
Want browned marshmallows? If your crock pot has an oven-safe insert, you can place it in the oven at 375°F for five to ten minutes or until the marshmallows are toasted on top.
Love creamy mashed potatoes? You can use a hand mixer to cream the sweet potatoes right in the crock pot!
Not ready to serve it? Once the casserole is cooked, you can leave it in the slow cooker on the warm setting until you’re ready to serve it.
I don’t have a crock pot. Can you make this in the oven?
I have the best baked sweet potato casserole you can make instead! It has all of the same flavors as this one and is very easy to make, too.
How to Store Leftover Sweet Potato Casserole
Who loves Thanksgiving leftovers? I know I do and this crock pot sweet potato casserole keeps really well!
Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for three to four days. You can warm them up in the microwave when you’re ready for another taste.
Sweet potato casserole is a holiday must-make at our house every year. Everyone loves the buttery sweet mashed potatoes with the gooey and crunchy topping!
Making this casserole in the crock pot will make the dinner prep so much easier – so be sure to give this recipe a try this year!
More Ways to Save Oven Space!
Hosting a big Thanksgiving dinner and worried there’s not enough room for everything? I have some great recipes for you to try that will save space in the oven:
- Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole is everything you love about the baked version but made in the slow cooker.
- You can make the creamiest Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese and skip the oven for this classic side.
- Use your air fryer to make a quick and healthy vegetable side dish like crispy Broccoli or Asparagus.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup pecans whole
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
- Clean and cut sweet potatoes into 1'' pieces. Add the sweet potatoes to the crock pot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, butter, spices, salt and vanilla until completely combined.
- Pour butter mixture over the sweet potatoes and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove lid and mash sweet potatoes. Then top with mini marshmallows.
- Cover with lid and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes until marshmallows are melted.
- Sprinkle with pecans and serve immediately.